Plugged chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Momat165

Nov 27, 2019
Longview wa
Guys and gals
My inlaws live in southern Oregon and they have a woodstove that is there main source of heat. They have used the stove 3 years they have lived there. Last year they chimney plugged up so bad the stove was worthless. My brother inlaw went down there and took the chimney pipe apart and and brushed it out. With in 2 weeks it was plugged again just as bad. Same process was repeated. Then 1 month later same thing. So this past summer the landlord sent a chimney sweep out. He said the chimney was 2 short and did a sweep then added 4 feet to the chimey. He also tested the moisture in the wood it was at 5%. The weather has changed and they are in wood burning season and the chimney is plugged yet again. It does not seem to matter if the stove is running wide open or damper closed. They burning oak and fir.

Guys and gals
My inlaws live in southern Oregon and they have a woodstove that is there main source of heat. They have used the stove 3 years they have lived there. Last year they chimney plugged up so bad the stove was worthless. My brother inlaw went down there and took the chimney pipe apart and and brushed it out. With in 2 weeks it was plugged again just as bad. Same process was repeated. Then 1 month later same thing. So this past summer the landlord sent a chimney sweep out. He said the chimney was 2 short and did a sweep then added 4 feet to the chimey. He also tested the moisture in the wood it was at 5%. The weather has changed and they are in wood burning season and the chimney is plugged yet again. It does not seem to matter if the stove is running wide open or damper closed. They burning oak and fir.
The wood is not at 5% moisture content. The lowest seen in most parts of the country would be around 12%. That is with testing a fresh split face of the wood at room temperature. I’m in CT and lowest I get with normal air drying is 16 percent.

Either they will continue to remain lucky, or like a lot of places around here will be burned out and tossed out, and forced to find a place that suits their lifestyle better. What was the question.

My guess you must be talking about a plugged up cap screen?

Or can you actually plug up a 6 inch chimney with creosote in 2 weeks?

Are they using a lot of paper or cardboard? That junk will plug the stupid screen quickly.

It’s not the species of wood. Lots of us burn oak and fir.

They need to change habits. There is no way the wood is at 5% so the odds are that they are either measuring it wrong or the tool they are using is significantly off. Could be both. If they want to end this issue, put them on here and post some pics of their setup.

Guys and gals

I don't see a question in there.

But, we know nothing about the chimney, stove, or stove operation. Plus 5% is impossible, so wood could be wet too. Plus, I was kinda thinking if a sweep checked it out & didn't flag anything wrong with the chimney, that might rule that out - but if he measured wood at 5% I'd be suspect of anything he does.

One thing seems certain - there are some kinda issues here.

Reactions: MissMac