Please help me pick a modern wood stove for a 400sqft three-season room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Snoochers

Mar 9, 2020
Can
I'm having a house built and this will include a 17' deep by 23' wide three-season sunroom. The A shaped ceiling will have a 5/12 pitch and I think will be about 14' at the highest point in center. It will have good windows and be insulated a bit but it won't be heated. This is in Canada so I probably won't be using it year round but I want to extend the use as much as possible. I want to put a wood stove in there to heat the space but also to be nice to look at. I want it to be reasonably efficient and also modern looking with as large a viewing area as possible. Here are my questions:

1. How big/powerful of a unit should I get? This room will often be very cold when I start the stove. Some smaller units seem to work well for 500 square feet, but I don't know if that assumes a space doesn't start off frozen? Should I be aiming for something bigger BTU wise?
2. The room will often get very cold in winter, perhaps below freezing. Is this a problem for the stove? Is condensation a concern? Can something be done about this?
3. Are there features I should be looking for?
4. What are some efficient modern-looking units? So far I've looked at the Supreme Novo 18/24/38, Hearthstone Green Mountain 40, Pacific Energy Neo, and MFIRE Nova. I considered the STUV 16 and the Wittus Shaker but those seem quite expensive. Leaning towards Supreme Novo.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

On another note: I'm thinking of putting the STUV 21-125 in the living room. If you know of another efficient modern looking large viewing fireplace please chyme in!

Please help me pick a modern wood stove for a 400sqft three-season room

Last edited:
Bump

If you are going for a contemporary look, I would look into the Osburn Matrix and Inspire wood stoves.

And have pretty great customer service too.

In this circumstance, go large. It takes extra btu output to change the area temperature quickly. If it gets too hot, dump some warmth into the house. Regency, Pacific Energy, Osburn, Napoleon are all Canadian stoves. Get something at least 2 cu ft in capacity.

In this circumstance, go large. It takes extra btu output to change the area temperature quickly. If it gets too hot, dump some warmth into the house. Regency, Pacific Energy, Osburn, Napoleon are all Canadian stoves. Get something at least 2 cu ft in capacity.
Thank you for the input!