Please Help me decide! EF2 vs. Meridian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Needheat65

Dec 25, 2016
Connecticut
Hello all!

I am down to the wire in deciding between two stoves. The Enviro EF2 and Enviro Meridian, both freestanding. I believe I'm getting a decent deal on both, however this is our first pellet stove so any input on prices would be appreciated. The EF2 is $2,195.00 and the Meridian is $3,099.00.

We live in Connecticut, in a 1600sqft colonial, just built, roughly 800sqft per floor. The stove will be in the main living area. I want the stove to be the main source of heat for the downstairs and hopefully be able to radiate and use my fan mode on air handler unit to push hot air into the bedrooms upstairs. We have electric baseboard heat and it is killing us on our electric bill, and our house is freezing. I fear the rough cold winter days!!

I'm looking for any and all input! Will the EF2 provide the heat I'm looking for?? I know there is about $1000 difference between the two, but my wife, really likes the cast iron look and I like the extra BTU output of the Meridian, But if the EF2 will provide the heat we need I'd rather put the extra $ towards pellets and install costs. Thank you all for your time and information!!!

Matt

GO bigger, if the cost won't effect you to much.

Pellet stoves are just space heaters. But I think most people on here use fro there primary heat. I do and it keeps us warm. When it gets really cold I put furnace on.

But I'm sure if you have a new home it's built well and very airtight. It's not hard to install stove yourself if you have some skills it's pretty easy. And you can save that extra and buy pellets.

Good luck let us know how you did. We love pictures!

Reactions: bags
I'd go with the bigger stove too just for the extra BTU capability during the frigid snaps. You can always dial a bigger stove down for comfort but never go beyond the max BTUs offered with a smaller stove.

I went bigger with my P68 and so glad I did. Back when I was looking I received the same advice. Go big or go home!

I know it's more $$$$ but you will soon forget about that. You will not forget about kicking yourself in the ass wishing you would have spent just a bit more for comfort. I heat 100% with my pellet stove. I also have a central HVAC system which I will only use the fan on during really cold times to distribute the air better. I no longer use it for heat. I never really did because before that I was heating with wood doing the same as I do with the pellet stove.

I have a 1000 or SF converted cottage. I ran an EF-2 for about 5 years. It worked well but struggled to keep up on those cold windy nights.
Bought a M55 Cast and so happy I did. Both are Freestanding. I uses less pellets and the stove isn't maxed out trying to keep up.
For a Colonial your size I'd be looking at a stove that provides at least 50K BTU. More is better. The EF2 is rated at about 32-35K IIRC.

I have a EF-2 in my basement (Not hooked up) that I will sell cheap if you are interested. PM Me.

Last edited:
Meridian is a great stove. I had one for 4 /5 years. Bought it new for $2000 from yankee stove shop in Rhode Island when they were going out of business. My one recommendation would be to ask dealer for the high ash liner.whenever I had an issue it was with higher ash pellets clogging up the pot leading to a lazy burn. Other than that it was a solid performer for me