Please help me decide between these splitters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bohemian44

Mar 2, 2024
NC
I have my choices narrowed down to the
Timberwolf TW-2
Split Fire 3465
Built Rite 8 HPWS
A must-have is hydraulic log lift.
Price doesn't matter much.
I'm a homeowner with plenty oh hardwoods at my disposal, mostly hickory red and white oaks. I heat my workshop and occasionally my house with wood. Not looking to sell firewood.
Thanks in advance for your insight.

They are all entry level commercial log splitters. They should handle your homeowner's wood supply. I think the Splitfire design is a dual type. The other two are push types with multiple wedge setups. So you should be able to do a lot of wood quickly. I guess if it was me - 1) I would focus on the design type I wanted (dual, push, kinetic), 2) the engine (Honda GX preferred), 3) the work height, and 4) the log lift (how good is it at its job). Also I would see which one has the best work area - that is once the round is split which one has the best table setup for storing wood while you split another piece.

Of course price and support are important. I like the Splitfire because it is a smaller Canada (?) company with good support. And I like the dual design. Is it the best splitter for you? You'll have to decide on that. I would guess the other 2 could out produce it.

Last edited:
The TW 2 looks awfully low to the ground, and the axles welded to the tank have caused issues for others in the past if you plan on transporting it a lot. Manual log lift is a unique idea.

3465 has a nice large area to stand while splitting, but once again looks low. Maybe it’s just the pictures. Dual split is interesting but I get logs jammed on my splitter once in a while, I don’t see a backstop for the wedge to free up stuck pieces.

Bilt rite looks like nice construction, nice valve placement, good size outfeed table, I like the receiver in the back. I’d make a rack that slides in there to hold an axe, peavey, and any other tools I use while processing.

Reactions: qwee
These are excellent replies and very helpful, thank you very much. I am going with the TW2. I agree it looks a little low. I will have to put it on blocks but it won't move from the wood lot. Once I park it there, it will stay there. I almost went with the Bilt Rite but the price was $8,000 vs $4660 and lead times not too bad, I may have it in 3-4 weeks.

Reactions: Dieselhead and qwee