Please help if you have info -insurance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Susanbrit

Aug 23, 2019
Hellertown
7AAE110E-20A5-4755-8BA0-ED6AC111A077.jpeg E045FFCD-604A-4E11-B08B-F05766C98E1D.jpeg Dear all,
I have an insurance inspector wanting information on whether my wood stove is UL listed. Funny that when the house was purchased 7 years ago there was no question.
I’ve attached a picture and if anyone knows what model this looks like maybe I could start there to determine if it is UL listed without having to pull it out.
Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 246691 View attachment 246692 Dear all,
I have an insurance inspector wanting information on whether my wood stove is UL listed. Funny that when the house was purchased 7 years ago there was no question.
I’ve attached a picture and if anyone knows what model this looks like maybe I could start there to determine if it is UL listed without having to pull it out.
Thank you!
First is it hooked to a liner or is it just shoved into the fireplace?

thank you very much for your response, it has a liner, if what you mean is the part that covers the entire fireplace opening.
No that is a face plate. A liner is a stainless steel pipe that attaches to the stove and runs up and out of the chimney.

If it's UL listed there will be a metal tag on the back of the stove.
It would look like this, post #72: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/fisher-papa-mama-and-baby-bear-details-bear-series.86736/page-3

Some insurance companies have issues with wood stoves. I have State Farm and they have never asked about me to provide any information on my two stoves.
Thank you! Funny I was thinking if switching g to state farm.
is there a way of checking model for UL without having to pull it out?

Thank you! Funny I was thinking if switching g to state farm.
is there a way of checking model for UL without having to pull it out?
You really need to check for the tag. If the tag is not there even if it had one originally it is now an unlisted stove. You also need to find out if it is hooked up properly with a liner anyway

Take the faceplate off and have a look around in there with a mirror and a bright light...a mechanics mirror that can be twisted into all kinds of different angles would be handy...

The model is "Fisher Fireplace Insert".
Manual here; https://www.hearth.com/images/uploads/fishinsertmanual.pdf

As you can see, the manual gives the UL listing it was tested to on the cover. (front cover is last in pdf document)

Many do not have tags which would normally be on the front right corner viewable outside of the hearth. Now codes require all UL approved appliances to have tags, so technically it would not be "Listed" without one. This is like having a vehicle with the Vin numbers removed...... It doesn't affect the safety of the vehicle, other than not having a Vin number to license and use it. Printing a copy of the manual may be enough to satisfy the insurance co. that it was a tested appliance.

They should be more concerned about being connected to a liner to the top of the chimney. Notice the manual shows the appliance was originally designed to be installed into a fireplace and use the existing chimney. This proved over time, to allow exhaust gasses to expand into a larger chimney flue designed for the fireplace, which allows exhaust gasses to cool as they expand creating creosote. So codes have changed requiring the direct connection of the same size liner as appliance outlet to the top of chimney.

Your picture doesn't show enough detail to give you a model year. Early models had a chain control on the right side instead of handle as shown on cover. I also can't see the air outlet vent on top with things in the way. There were other Inserts which a better pic would define, but the "Fireplace Insert" is the most common and not given a Bear name. The outlet vent also would define the model, but I'm pretty sure it is not a more rare model. (they have a larger air opening at top that I'm not seeing in your photos).

Insert Right Side 10-28-80.jpg