Pleasant Hearth 1800 sq ft install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyjudd

Hearth Supporter
Recently, my wife and I installed a chimney, built a hearth (trim still to be installed) and installed a wood stove. I work for the local paper and wrote about our experience here:

(broken link removed to http://www.salisburypost.com/blogs/outsideinsight/?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&UID=da7cdddf-5bbf-4e1f-bc2c-331498f9116b&plckPostId=Blog:da7cdddf-5bbf-4e1f-bc2c-331498f9116bPost:23a1ba0c-05b7-478a-862b-327916d6d681&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest)

We really didn't know what we would need, and started out with a little Vogelzang cook stove, really intended more for cabins, shops, etc.

It quickly became apparent that we weren't going to be able to meet our heating needs with that stove, and that we were going to burn through a lot of firewood.

My boss also mentioned to me that if I installed a new EPA approved stove, the entire project would qualify for the tax credit.

We shopped around a bit and eventually decided on the Pleasant Hearth 1800 Square foot model. The price was reasonable for a stove that size ($699).

My neighbor helped me move the stove inside yesterday (335 pounds!) and hook it up to our chimney pipe.

So far so good. Heck of a smell burning off the new stove paint, but seemed to run pretty good. I dropped a log in late last night, and still had hot coals this morning and the house was still 70 degrees. Not a great test though, it only got down to about 40 last night.

I did notice that initially it's a little more difficult to get a fire started. It doesn't draft as well as the other stove, but this may also be due to having to put a twist in the chimney pipe to install the new stove (two flexible elbows bend into an S-shape.)

It's much easier on firewood and seems to maintain a much more even heat.

The included blower motor does have a loud whine, but it seems to function well.

I'll update this post again when it's much colder. Burning seasoned Dogwood right now. Seems to burn hot and even.

The photo is of my wife Peg sitting in front of our new stove, soaking up the heat!

* A few observations after the first few days. 1.) This definitely doesn't draft very well. Unless I leave the door cracked for the first 10 minutes, the fire isn't going to stay lit. The built in draft appears to just be too small to make a lot of difference. Works okay when the stove is burning, but not sufficiently to get it started. 2.) The glass door is very black after just a couple of days of use. 3.) It takes longer to warm up then my other stove, but once it is lit, it maintains a steady, even burn. 4.) I'm noticing puffy white clouds from my chimney. In an epa approved stove I expected less smoke, not more. 5.) These observations may all have a great deal to do with the quality of my wood. I'm burning seasoned dog wood. It seems dry and splits easy, but the dogwood was just deadfall in the woods I picked up a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Pleasant Hearth 1800 sq ft install
    pegandfire.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,017
This is great to see, I'm getting ready to install that same stove as soon as I get all the parts together to reline my chimney.

Open all the doors the first time you fire it up! That stove paint smoked for an hour. Manufactures instructions were to build a relatively cool fire, let it die and cool. Build another fire, let it cool. And then a final, hotter fire to cure the paint.

True to form, I built one big fat fire, put the fans on, filled the house up with smoke and got it over with.

The paint is supposed to cure harder if you follow the instructions though. Just an FYI.

Another update - after a couple of days, I'm starting to get a better handle on this stove.

Reading around the forums I realized that if I burn a little more kindling in the beginning, it gets hotter and clears up the glass. I still have to leave the door open for the first couple of minutes, but now that I know that, it's no problem.

Sounds like the white clouds I was concerned about are mostly moisture.

I'm very happy with how evenly this stove heats. It has a built in blower that seems to do a very good job of keeping the entire house at a reasonably even temperature. (house is small, 1200 sq feet.)

I built a fire the other night before heading off to bed, and at 9 am the next day I still had hot coals, enough that I just threw some kindling on top and blew on it and it burst into flames.

That was at least a good 8 hour burn.

Sometime this week or next I plan to buy a cord of seasoned hardwoods (seasoned a full year indoors, I made sure to ask). Be interesting to see if it burns differently than the dogwood I'm burning now.

Colder weather is coming. So far so good!

Just bought mine today! Can't wait to use it, hopefully my liner will be in by this weekend and I can get everything put together! :-) It JUST fits in my fire place.

Nice looking instal! I have to ask though, do you have enough clearance behind the stove and is the hearth large enough in front and on the sides?

Matt

I don't know what his clearances are, but the instalation instructions call for 14" to the back or the sides to combustables, and the floor need's 16" from the front of the glass and 8" on each side. For non-combustables it simply states to obtain clearances from the materials manufacture, which to me is a cop out LOL.

5.) These observations may all have a great deal to do with the quality of my wood. I’m burning seasoned dog wood. It seems dry and splits easy, but the dogwood was just deadfall in the woods I picked up a few weeks ago.

Those are two contradictory statements in the same sentence, I am afraid. If you are burning deadfall a few weeks out of the woods, chances are that you are not burning proper fuel for an EPA stove.

Pyro - about clearance. It's very close. I originally built the hearth for a smaller stove, then found out about the tax credit so bought a larger EPA approved stove.

It's 14 1/2" in the back (specs are 14"), 10 on both sides (specs are 8") and about 15 1/2 in the front (specs are 16").

So I am a little short on the front. I've been keeping an eye on it to make sure the floor isn't getting too warm, and so far so good.

About the firewood not being seasoned - I got into this a little late in the season, and will purchase seasoned wood this week. The dogwood was a free offer from a friend. It does burn hot, and it burns a long time, but I think you're right, it isn't totally seasoned yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.