Plastering Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emailogram

Hello,

Our Quaker Meeting House has a fireplace which has been spalling the coating over the stone. Below are images.
We'd like to chisel off the cement and replace a coating over the stones, in the rear.
I have a done a little plastering with Hawk and Trowel and thought we could do this ourselves since it is cosmetic (nothing combustible behind).
What type of cement should we use? I saw a fire cement / mortar which looks like it is for firebrick and small patches and refractory cement.
Would we be able to use one of these?
If we do, should we keep it 3/8" or less? If so, can we build out areas which spalled deeper?

Plastering Firebox Plastering Firebox Plastering Firebox Plastering Firebox Plastering Firebox

The building is 201 years old. The fireplace was rebuilt in 1999-2000 and the solid flue was poured in 2005.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I don’t know of any product that would hold up the abuse a firebox takes. What’s the reason for the plaster anyway? Is there firebrick behind it?