Planning for a Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jerrodlk

Feb 19, 2014
Here is my plan:
Circulating prefab fireplace insert
Rated to burn with the doors closed
Blower to circulate air through the unit heat exchanger
Fresh air intake directly into the fire chamber
Burn with the doors closed

Will this fireplace set up produce net heat considering the combustion air comes from outside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Even without an outside air intake an insert will produce net heat.

We need some clarification is it an insert or a prefab? Are the doors gasketed?

Prefab insert. I have an option for gaskets doors. Was planning for non gasket doors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prefab fireplace. Not a stove insert.

I would never recommend a pre-fab fireplace over an insert. And especially not since you're concerned about heating ability.

Want me to show you how to eliminate that useless clutter?[/Quote][/QUOTE]

A prefab fireplace AKA zero-clearance fireplace or ZC. If the goal is to heat efficiently with a ZC then get an EPA model that is designed to do this.

I would never recommend a pre-fab fireplace over an insert. And especially not since you're concerned about heating ability.

Want me to show you how to eliminate that useless clutter?
The problem is you need a masonry fireplace to put an insert in. If you dont have one you need a highefficency zero clearance unit

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, with some units that is possible while using a firescreen. In some other ZC fireplaces open door burning is not recommended. Look for this in the operation manual before purchasing.

Can you burn the EPA models with the doors open?

If you go with a non epa model you likely will not gain much if any heat

Does anyone have a recommendation on brand/model for ZC fireplaces that can burn doors open or closed?

Depend on how large a ZC you want but the RSF Opel and Topaz can do this.