Placement of Thermometer on Jotul F100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sesro1978

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

Where is the best location to place a wood stove thermometer on the Jotul F100?

The top is dimpled and I suspect my readings are not accurate as air that can get in under the thermometer (due to the dimpling) might provide a cooling effect before the thermometer can register the temp.

Perhaps I'm overthinking this and/or Jotul has accounted for this already.

Thanks for any info!

I prefer a chimney probe gauge. Tells me what's going up the pipe.

I’m all cozied up to my F100 right now even though it’s 60 degrees out. Windows are open. Couldn’t wait.

I gonna say yeah, you might be overthinking it a bit with the dimples. The thermometer will still be in contact with the metal. The owners manual indicates best locations for a stove top thermometer....page 15, fig 16.

Are you in the process of breaking it in?

I started a thread a while back...”Stacked Stone Veneer” which I need to reply to some comments from some very knowledgeable people on this forum. Check it out if you interested. Would love to see some pics of your setup.

Last edited:
I agree i prefer pipe temp over stove top. Especially on a cast stove the rise in stove top will take allot longer. Pipe temp reflects the internal temps better.

I agree i prefer pipe temp over stove top. Especially on a cast stove the rise in stove top will take allot longer. Pipe temp reflects the internal temps better.

How far up the pipe do you recommend?

Cool. Thx.
I have a Condar Chimgard but I have it on the stove top. I don’t go by the colored “zones” of course...I watch the actual temperature.

Cool. Thx.
I have a Condar Chimgard but I have it on the stove top.
I like to monitor both but the top temp is just for my curiosity. I run it by the pipe temp.

Nice. I’m still learning. Maybe I’ll get an Inferno for the top and put the Chimgard on the pipe where it belongs.

Question...the pipe temp would normally be slightly lower than the stove top temp, correct? Just slightly?

Nice. I’m still learning. Maybe I’ll get an Inferno for the top and put the Chimgard on the pipe where it belongs.

Question...the pipe temp would normally be slightly lower than the stove top temp, correct? Just slightly?
That depends on what point you are at in the burn. Getting up to temp yes top will be lower. But once you shut the air back and you are cruising the top will be quite a bit higher than the pipe.

Sorry...my posts got a little messed up there.

Was asking if 500 was a good cruising temp measured with a Condar on the stove top.

Thx...

The F3CB is a willing little heater. I ran ours at about 500-550F on the stove top during shoulder season, but around 650F in winter.

To monitor the stove’s temperature, Jøtul recommends the use of a magnetic stove-top thermometer, placed directly on the corner of the stove’s top plate.

I also like to have a thermometer on the stove pipe for more precise guidance.

Last edited:
Ok thx. Sounds like I’m in the ballpark then. I’m cruising at 500 now.

I am assuming then that 650ish is the hottest you want the stove top temp to be for the F3CB.

It will easily peak at 700F if the air is not closed down soon enough. It'll be fine if kept below 750F.

Hey guys-

Chiming back in here. I put the stove thermometer back on the top :) Also picked up a probe thermometer for the pipe; I was a little hesitant about drilling a hole thru my new double wall, but got over that pretty quickly. We've had the F100 up to about 500 and for our house, so far, it does a great job. We have a center stair cape (~1,300 sq. feet) and the stove seems to keep the living room nice and cozy with enough hot air going up the stairs to warm the bedrooms. Granted it's not -10 out just yet, but we're happy with it so far.

I've attached a picture of our setup (pay no attention to my daughter's Frozen toys in the foreground).

Attachments

• Placement of Thermometer on Jotul F100
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 511
Really nice! I almost went with an F100. Love the look if it. I decided on the F3CB pretty much just because it can take slightly larger logs.

The one thing I wasn’t happy with though is the fact that of all the stoves Jotul makes, the F3CB requires the biggest clearances. Smaller stoves and bigger stoves can be put closer to the wall. In the end...all good...I made it work.

Enjoy!

Looks good sesro 1978.

My Vermont Castings Encore. They have this top loader which is also a brushed steel plate. My stove is set 1/4 into an existing fireplace, with the stove pipe rear vent to a 90 that goes up the exterior chimney. Should I put the magnetic thermometer on the steel top loader plate, that's also directly over the fire? Or off to the side on the cast iron portion? I don't have the option to hit the stove pipe, unless there is some remote type thing. Thanks!

Found it: middle of the griddle. Manual page 26, https://downloads.hearthnhome.com/installManuals/30005295 Encore FlexBurn_23.pdf

Last edited: