Pipe leaking creosote when it rains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

taborga

Feb 10, 2020
Washington, D.C.
Hello There,

This wood stove came with our house (I'm not sure how old it is) it was inspected and repaired 3 years ago when we bought the house (a few cracked firebricks replaced). We have it cleaned each year, after the most recent spring cleaning we noticed the pipe dripping, it happens when it rains and when the wood stove is not being used. Why would this happen?

Thank you.

Attachments

• Pipe leaking creosote when it rains
    IMG_7097.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 127
    IMG_7098.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 133
If the wind is blowing at the right angle while it is raining you can get rain down the chimney and it has to go somewhere. Maybe try a different chimney cap. What kind of chimney is it?

I think you're right! We realized last night it tends to happen when have major thunder storms and wind. It has a metal cap with a metal grate around the sides. I'm not sure if the chimney needs to be fixed or the pipe attached to the inside wall needs to be fixed to stop it form leaking down the wall?

Attachments

IMG_7112.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 95
Taborga...have you looked down the chimney yet to see if you have a liner. You said when it was last cleaned tiles were replaced so im assuming its hooked to clay tile liner. If so i would install a class a chimney in the existing chimney. Those tiles will eventually crack again.

Taborga...have you looked down the chimney yet to see if you have a liner. You said when it was last cleaned tiles were replaced so im assuming its hooked to clay tile liner. If so i would install a class a chimney in the existing chimney. Those tiles will eventually crack again.
Why would you install a chimney within a chimney? Why not just line it if need be?

Last edited:
Can he not install a class a in the masonry chimney?
You could if you had enough room to fit one. But why spend the extra money for a chimney inside another chimney when an insulated liner will work just as well.

And for the record the clay lined chimney if built to code is already a class a chimney. Class a chimney are simply chimneys that met requirements for a solid fuel burning appliance. A properly lined masonry chimney even with clay can meet that spec. What you are referring to is a prefab chimney.

Reactions: Grizzerbear