pipe in enclosed, non combustible wall, ok with combustible wall attached?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jody

Hearth Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I am running my single wall stove pipe through a sealed non combustible(metal studs/cement board) wall to a chimney. The closest combustible, the rest of the normal wall (wood/plastic/sheet rock), would be 18 inches away from the pipe to both sides, and the towards the ceiling.

Would this "dead air" space cause any kind of problems where the normal 18 inch clearance is fine? I was starting to second guess this, and if there is any question about the safety of this I wanted to change it before I got anything else done.

Have pictures as well if this isn't clear, and if someone wanted to take a look.

Thanks,
Jody.

18 " is 18" post up some pics.

Call your local building inspector. Don't risk life and property especially if you are second guessing it.

You cannot run single wall pipe thru any wall, unless it's in a thimble.
There are many approved masonry adapters/wallthimbles out there.
Get yourself one of them & do it RIGHT.

pics attached...

-first one shows the the metal studs..
-second one shows the cement board attached to the studs to act as a heat shield
-third shows the single wall pipe going through the cement board...

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] pipe in enclosed, non combustible wall, ok with combustible wall attached?
    IMG_3518.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 191
  • [Hearth.com] pipe in enclosed, non combustible wall, ok with combustible wall attached?
    IMG_3522.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 181
    IMG_3527.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 185
cont'd...

if I still don't get a warm and fuzzy from the responses, then I'm just going to cut out the board around the pipe. like I did for the cleanout.

It won't look as nice when it is tiled, but I won't worry about it at all.

Attachments

IMG_3528.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 209
    IMG_3529.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 188
    IMG_3531.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 204
DAKSY said:
You cannot run single wall pipe thru any wall, unless it's in a thimble.
There are many approved masonry adapters/wallthimbles out there.
Get yourself one of them & do it RIGHT.

cool. I'll check this out. hopefully I can get one locally that I can use with single wall pipe, and that can butt up to the concrete on the far side.

thanks again,
Jody

Status
Not open for further replies.