Pipe identification?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
A friend want's to know what make of pipe this is. Obviously has an indent and a pimple for orientation which may identify it.

Pipe identification?

Tough call from the photo. If the chimney pipe above goes through an attic then there might be a label on it for ID. Otherwise, can you post a shot of the chimney cap?

I was assuming that these markings would be specific to a manufacturer. This is in a 1 story truss roof house. I asked my friend, a woman who owns the house to see if she can spot any labels on the class A section in the attic WITHOUT stepping on anything other than the truss itself. I have my doubts as the pipe in near the eve. She is picking up a stove from Woodstock to replace her Lopi and of course she want's a special color pipe from Woodstock. I was going to send this picture to the only 2 dealers in her area as they most likely sold that pipe to the previous owner. I was just hoping that someone knew which MFG.

Pipe identification?

Last edited:
It sometimes is easier to ID by looking at the chimney cap. Some are distinctive to the mfg.

A local dealer to her house in Maine weighed in, Simpson Dura-vent brand of pipe. In the mean time I've asked her to take a pic of the chimney cap.

Simpson duravent is the only manufacturer that I could rule out. It looks nothing like mine. Maybe it’s just really old and duravent used to look different which means maybe modern duravent parts may not mate up.

You can always contact the duravent people and ask them directly. I’m pretty sure Simpson sold the duravent line years ago. I like duravent stuff.

Yeah, I have Simpson Duravent and it does not resemble that ceiling support. Simpson sold about 13-14? yrs ago.
Hoping the chimney cap will give a better clue.

Reactions: Highbeam
Now I got this from the same person:

If it's wood then it could be either Dura-Vent or Selkirk brand ---- most likely Selkirk

Selkirk makes several products. Sounds like they are just guessing.

Reactions: kborndale
And “if it’s wood” it could be several other brands too.

Here's an exterior picture which may (or may not) help identifying...

Pipe identification?

At that angle, it's hard to say based on the cap. Looks like there is still an identifying label on the pipe. If legible, it would specifically answer the question.