Pics of last years renovations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

annb

Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2009
IN
Thanks for clarifying. We have an old farmhouse that is not an open floor plan. Without a central heat option I'm afraid we'll be really warm in one room and cold everywhere else. That's really what lead us to the Opel to begin with. Others have also suggested burning it for a while without the central heat to see how it works. We sure wouldn't mind saving that additional cost, and it makes sense.

I have a couple more questions. How much space are you heating and how much wood do you burn a year?

It looks like your chimney runs up the outside of the house and the fireplace is in an exterior box. Did you insulate the box and chase? Have you had any issues with poor draw?

Finally, during installation did you encounter any unexpected or especially challenging issues? We have a fair bit of experience in rehab, dyi type of stuff. Is this the kind of thing someone with dyi experience could tackle on their own?

Thanks again. It's inspiring!

I decided to share some pics of my project last year. Removed a POS Heat-a-lator and installed a RSF Opel 3. I learned much from combing through these forums during the process.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Pics of last years renovations
    IMG_0544.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 890
    IMG_0545.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 891
    IMG_0556 (2).JPG
    35 KB · Views: 885
    IMG_0572.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 917
    IMG_0581.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 889
    IMG_0596.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 965
    IMG_0597.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 967
That's a nice improvement!

Sweet.
Nice job!

looks great!

pen

You're proud of yourself - and you should be. Really nice job.
What type of stone is that? Do you have a black ceiling?

Good work! Looks great.

woodjack said:
You're proud of yourself - and you should be. Really nice job.
What type of stone is that? Do you have a black ceiling?
It's a manufactured stone, I'll find out the name of the company and style and repost tomorrow. It's not one of the well known companys, not as realistic I suppose, but good enough for me... and much cheaper. The ceiling is navy blue. We have a projection screen and it does not like light!

Russ in Chicagoland said:
Wondering what the two rectangles above the mantel are? Nice work!
The one on the left is just a 110 outlet. The one on the right is the blower control for the central heating option, which btw I don't recomend.

Thanks for posting pictures of your install job, I wish more people would do that. One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to see and get ideas from others while at the same time trying to share my own. Posting pictures is the best way to accomplish that.
With that in mind I have a question about the 4th picture, what is that galvanized ducting pipe that comes up the left side of your stove and loops down on the top?
I'm guessing by your last post that it ties into your central heating ducting?

Carbon_Liberator said:
Thanks for posting pictures of your install job, I wish more people would do that. One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to see and get ideas from others while at the same time trying to share my own. Posting pictures is the best way to accomplish that.
With that in mind I have a question about the 4th picture, what is that galvanized ducting pipe that comes up the left side of your stove and loops down on the top?
I'm guessing by your last post that it ties into your central heating ducting?
Exactly. 8" duct that I insulated. The raised hearth hides its path into the basement. It dumps into the existing HVAC duct as close to the plenum as I could get. 20' or so... that is where the blower is located which is nice, because it cuts down on the noise.

annb said:
I'm wondering why you don't recommend the central heat?

I shouldn't have said that. Every house is different. What works well for one might not in another. If you want to tie into your existing duct work, unless your home is fairly small, your duct system will be under pressurized and very inefficient. (heat lost in duct) If you make your duct runs isolated and sized properly, it would increase the effeciency, and the cost. (unless you don't already have duct work) However, even with a properly sized system, if you don't address cold air return it still will not operate to the maximum potential. So you could build an additional duct system and blower to return cold air back to the room where your fireplace is or use strategically placed floor fans. The kicker is that the floor fans by themselves will probably be more effective alone. (no heat loss in duct work) If you push the cold air to the heat source, the heat will automaticaly find its way to where the cold came from. You can read much about this in the forums.

If your fireplace is on a main level and you want it to supply heat to your basement, then I think the central heating option would be great for that.

I can have more consistant temps using my central heating option, but I have overall higher temps without it. Make sense? Another problem with my set up is that I still use my furnace for supplemental heat and i do not have the relays etc. that would keep both blowers from coming on at the same time. If this happens to often or to long the blower on the furnace over heats and shuts off. (safety switch) PITA. So if you decide to go with an OPEL, (love mine btw) maybe install the wiring, backdraft damper and a little duct stubbed off, so you could add the rest later easily if after experimentation you think it would enhance your situation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

annb said:
Thanks for clarifying. We have an old farmhouse that is not an open floor plan. Without a central heat option I'm afraid we'll be really warm in one room and cold everywhere else. That's really what lead us to the Opel to begin with. Others have also suggested burning it for a while without the central heat to see how it works. We sure wouldn't mind saving that additional cost, and it makes sense.

I have a couple more questions. How much space are you heating and how much wood do you burn a year?
1800 sqft. I didn't keep track. I scrounged for wood all winter, so I was burning wood that ranged from to wet to almost dry. I cut a pick-up load every week and got way ahead, then I got busy or lazy and burned it all up in the spring... so I'll be doing the same thing this year. My goal is to get a couple of years ahead, which unfortunately is gonna take a couple of years. I'd say a wheelbarrell full every day.

It looks like your chimney runs up the outside of the house and the fireplace is in an exterior box. Did you insulate the box and chase? Have you had any issues with poor draw?
The chase is on the exterior. It originally was not insulated. I insulated it as recommended on the three exterior sides. (uninsulated on the enterior wall) I only have draw issues when the spark screen on the chimney cap gets clogged with creosote. I'm sure that will not be an issue once I quit having to burn wood that hasn't been properly seasoned. I will mention that when I cleaned by cap, (had to do it twice last season) the flue itself was quite clean.

If you have the space build your chase inside, it will be more efficient.

Finally, during installation did you encounter any unexpected or especially challenging issues? We have a fair bit of experience in rehab, dyi type of stuff. Is this the kind of thing someone with dyi experience could tackle on their own?
I am a DIY kinda guy and I did it. Do your homework, follow instuctions to the letter and so can you. It will take longer and cost more than you plan.

Thanks again. It's inspiring!

Any idea why your post is dated August?

Thanks again for all of the excellent info. You state that it will cost more and take longer than we plan. How long did it take you to complete the installation?

annb said:
Thanks again for all of the excellent info. You state that it will cost more and take longer than we plan. How long did it take you to complete the installation?

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get your last post. It took about 2 months, worked on it evenings and weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.