Picked up a small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sono

Dec 22, 2021
Mo
I traded a generator for a small wood stove. Wire brushed it and refinished, still need to pick up the new glass and door seals to install.
It is a Vogelzang Frontiersman Model VG450ELG

Picked up a small stove

Looks great . Pre EPA I take it. Nice simple stove to heat with. Looks like my neighbors who have been using theirs for decades.

Looks great . Pre EPA I take it. Nice simple stove to heat with. Looks like my neighbors who have been using theirs for decades.
They are not pre EPA.

I traded a generator for a small wood stove. Wire brushed it and refinished, still need to pick up the new glass and door seals to install.
It is a Vogelzang Frontiersman Model VG450ELG

View attachment 290681
I hope it wasn't a very good generator. Those were dirt cheap to start with probably only worth $100 or so. They work but not all that well.

Reactions: Sono
I hope it wasn't a very good generator. Those were dirt cheap to start with probably only worth $100 or so. They work but not all that well.
eh, it was a decent generator but was worthless to me. Heat is my priority, burning through propane when this little guy will offset that 50% or better.

Reactions: clancey and bholler
I replaced the door glass seal, first go I really didnt like the gasket being exposed to I redone it today and moved the gasket back about 3/16" to wrap around the edge as it originally did when I removed the old stuff. The old gasket was compressed like paper thin. I noticed on my first try the corners hit the cast iron door but after doing the wrap like the old gasket did the glass has a decent gap between the edges and the door for any expansion. Tight seal all around on the front surface as well as around the edges, I think I am happier with the results. Screws for the glass retainers are snug but not tight as I read to check and resnug after the first fire but not tight as the glass needs to "float" a bit, the glass doesnt expand or contract but the door does ( ceramic glass stays pretty uniform with heat/cool )

Picked up a small stove Picked up a small stove Picked up a small stove

I replaced the door glass seal, first go I really didnt like the gasket being exposed to I redone it today and moved the gasket back about 3/16" to wrap around the edge as it originally did when I removed the old stuff. The old gasket was compressed like paper thin. I noticed on my first try the corners hit the cast iron door but after doing the wrap like the old gasket did the glass has a decent gap between the edges and the door for any expansion. Tight seal all around on the front surface as well as around the edges, I think I am happier with the results. Screws for the glass retainers are snug but not tight as I read to check and resnug after the first fire but not tight as the glass needs to "float" a bit, the glass doesnt expand or contract but the door does ( ceramic glass stays pretty uniform with heat/cool )

View attachment 291661 View attachment 291662 View attachment 291663
Thanks for the tips, I am going to cut a window into my wood furnace door.

Reactions: clancey and Sono
Thanks for the tips, I am going to cut a window into my wood furnace door.
If I could, Id have 1/4" ( an 1/8" off each side ) so it fits better without worry of the glass hitting the iron as it apparently has as 3 corners are chipped, but no cracks .

Finally, the door gasket came in, done.

View attachment 291875
Well, that’s not too long to get something. Here we are in 2022 with the capability of ordering anything at your fingertips, many carriers to bring it right to you, and years ago any hardware store had rolls of it for a few cents by the foot and they gave you a tube of cement with it! Things are so backwards.

I like the Amish way of no cement. Flat gasket is folded and pushed into a slot. You can replace it hot if you have to, but they are made as your only heat so they can be serviced while heating.

Reactions: stoveliker and Sono
Well, that’s not too long to get something. Here we are in 2022 with the capability of ordering anything at your fingertips, many carriers to bring it right to you, and years ago any hardware store had rolls of it for a few cents by the foot and they gave you a tube of cement with it! Things are so backwards.

I like the Amish way of no cement. Flat gasket is folded and pushed into a slot. You can replace it hot if you have to, but they are made as your only heat so they can be serviced while heating.
Took about a week to get the flat gasket for the glass, it came from Florida. The round door gasket took nearly 2 weeks pus a day to get here from California.... Normally everything comes fairly quick and most of the time packed together as one shipment... this go it was scattered, was supposed to get 1 package a day through the week but ended up scattered over 2 weeks since the snow struck right as shipments were going out... crazy. Where I live now, it is cheaper to have delivered than me running into town to get stuff, as I mentioned the farm store wanted nearly double or more for the 2 gaskets alone... saved 50% and gas.

Took about a week to get the flat gasket for the glass, it came from Florida. The round door gasket took nearly 2 weeks pus a day to get here from California.... Normally everything comes fairly quick and most of the time packed together as one shipment... this go it was scattered, was supposed to get 1 package a day through the week but ended up scattered over 2 weeks since the snow struck right as shipments were going out... crazy. Where I live now, it is cheaper to have delivered than me running into town to get stuff, as I mentioned the farm store wanted nearly double or more for the 2 gaskets alone... saved 50% and gas.
It is getting easier and cheaper to find items online and have them waiting for you when you get home the next day or two.
Plus the factor of finding fringe type of products that even the best stocked hardware store would have to order ( if they have a source). These are amazing times we live in ....I guess as humans we can't stand to be too happy or at least the powers that be get annoyed by it.

Biggest drawback is what ever the walmarts and home depots haven't put out a business will most likely fall victim to online merchandising.

My gasket came in a day and my glass arrived yesterday, so 3 days there.

They are not pre EPA.
Yes, moved to the main forum. It was a basic, inefficient, 35:1 stove that was sold up to a few years ago IIRC.

Well, everything is back together, debating installing tubes to make a secondary burner from those rear vents, also thinking to make damper doors for the front vents, easy to fabricate a few small ones for this.

Picked up a small stove