Picked up a Quadra-Fire 3100. What's the proper install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KC Matt

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2016
Kansas City
Ok, I'm the proud owner of a Quadra Fire 3100 which I will detail later.

Currently I have a lined masonry chimney in very good condition that's 2 floors total and I'm wanting to do a correct install. Obviously it requires a 6" flex liner, and insulated is best. Anything I need to know about insulation or liners?

The current damper will have to be cut back to accommodate the liner, but should I leave enough to build a metal baffle to seal the liner? The liner kit I'm looking at has a flat cap at the top, which seems odd. How do you attach that to the clay liner?

Also, is it wise to seal the upper and lower areas of the chimney with Roxul?

This will be a replacement for a little Ashley smoke dragon that serves as backup/additional heat to a Tundra furnace. Regardless of whether the Quadra-fire is the greatest insert on the market, it's a major improvement for me.

I'm seeing both single and double wall liners with about a $100 price difference. How much difference does that make, and what do they mean "smooth wall"? Seems like the double wall would be more difficult to install, since there is a little jag at the end of the install.

Looking information on liners as well. I have done the search and I am surprised that there is no sticky for liner recommendations. I was looking at a 35' kit for my chimney that is in great shape with a 13x13 terracotta clay liner. I am going with an insulated liner but I too am curious what the best liner for the cost would be. I need it to be somewhat flexible because it is not a straight shot but has some slight angles to navigate.