Photos of your Castine installs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jun 1, 2019
MN
My local shop has me on the schedule to install my Castine at the end of January.

We're headed below zero tonight, and I'm really looking forward to the stove.

Does anyone have a shot of their Castine install to inspire me while I wait?

How’s this?
How dry is your wood? I spent the first couple weeks not enjoying my new stove as much as I could have because my wood was wet. I should have bought a pallet of bio brisk with the stove. That was this week last year. This year with dry wood I couldn’t be happier.
Evan

Attachments

• Photos of your Castine installs?
    5F2592C6-092E-4031-AFCA-75602F655736.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Reactions: CreosoteCowboy
Ours is a year old. The F400 won’t be sold in its current design pad March as it is not EPA 2020 compliant and no update has been announced. I wanted an F500 but it was not available in white last year.

How’s this?
How dry is your wood? I spent the first couple weeks not enjoying my new stove as much as I could have because my wood was wet. I should have bought a pallet of bio brisk with the stove. That was this week last year. This year with dry wood I couldn’t be happier.
Evan
I notice a lot of combustibles near that beautiful stove.

Ours is a year old. The F400 won’t be sold in its current design pad March as it is not EPA 2020 compliant and no update has been announced. I wanted an F500 but it was not available in white last year.

I didn't realize that Jotul was still doing the Castine in white last year. It looks great. We ended up going with the reddish-brown enamel, and I'm under the impression that the order has been successfully placed. Fingers crossed that it's delivered, I guess.

As for the wood, I've got a cord of oak that's measuring 16-19% sitting under cover on racks. It was in a barn for three or four years prior.

My plan going forward is to buy a couple cords in April or May and try the kiln method over next summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
You are in Good shape. After the hurricane hit here last year I was able to get about 4 cords of poplar and pine with a little dogwood CSS. The white color was not negotiable. Finding a white non cat under 28” height” didn’t give me many options. The white shows dirt bad. I’d care more if it wasn’t tucked so far In The fireplace.

I wondered about the white showing dirt and potentially getting stained from soot over the long term. Glad to hear you like it, though.

I have a white enamel F400 scheduled for install myself on 12-30. Will post a pic when done. I am happy I got this one because it seems like they are going to have to redesign this model pretty drastically to meet the new specs (cat maybe?). The retailer told me that the white enamel finish on this stove will be changing slightly in 2020. The white that has been available up until now is 'Ivory,' and starting after the new year it will change to 'Linen.' Still basically white, but I think a bit creamier than the ivory. I had the same challenge as you EbS, HAD to have a White enamel stove that was short enough to fit partially under an existing fireplace. The F400 is a little smaller than I would like at 1.7 CF firebox, but maybe a few years from now Jotul will offer the F500 in White... Is it bad that I am already thinking about upgrading and I haven't even gotten my new stove yet!?!?! Just like you Cowboy, it is getting COLD here in the Northeast and watching my oil tank level go down is driving me nuts while I await the 30th...

My favorite finish is the blue-black enamel. It is tougher and has a classic look, but doesn't fade with age like a painted finish.
Photos of your Castine installs?

I have a white enamel F400 scheduled for install myself on 12-30. Will post a pic when done. I am happy I got this one because it seems like they are going to have to redesign this model pretty drastically to meet the new specs (cat maybe?). The retailer told me that the white enamel finish on this stove will be changing slightly in 2020. The white that has been available up until now is 'Ivory,' and starting after the new year it will change to 'Linen.' Still basically white, but I think a bit creamier than the ivory. I had the same challenge as you EbS, HAD to have a White enamel stove that was short enough to fit partially under an existing fireplace. The F400 is a little smaller than I would like at 1.7 CF firebox, but maybe a few years from now Jotul will offer the F500 in White... Is it bad that I am already thinking about upgrading and I haven't even gotten my new stove yet!?!?! Just like you Cowboy, it is getting COLD here in the Northeast and watching my oil tank level go down is driving me nuts while I await the 30th...

I didn't realize Jotul was so recently making a whiteish color and had plans to do so again. I'm not going to tell my wife, mostly because I fear trying to keep it clean.

However, I do think they look great in photos, and I look forward to hearing how yours works.