People complaining bout new modern wood burning stoves!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Itslay90

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Upstate,NY
Personally, I think people dislike these new modern stoves because they want to buy semi-dry wood and smoke out their neighbors. Moreover, those who complain about these new modern stoves not heating their houses do so because their firewood is not dry, and they fail to realize that these stoves have a learning curve! And you also need dry firewood !!

Pappy used to say that a poor worker always blames his tools.

Reactions: FTG-05 and paredown
My old neighbors liked the smell of wood wafting through the neighborhood, as many told me. YMMV, I lived in a much different part of the country than you.

Reactions: FTG-05
Operating a modern stove is not rocket science... My wife had never operated a stove in her life and with just a bit of coaching and experience is a pro.

Personally I would not enjoy operating a stove without a nice clear viewing window. It's my leading indicator that I'm running the stove efficiently.

Just posted this to another thread but seems to be relevant here.
People complaining bout new modern wood burning stoves!

I think many of the older stoves were more radiant and you could feel the heat better than most of the newer EPA heavily shielded convective stoves.

I think many of the older stoves were more radiant and you could feel the heat better than most of the newer EPA heavily shielded convective stoves.
That's likely right. I think the shielding came about from requests or competition for reducing clearances. An unshielded stove needs a lot more space around it. Highly radiant stoves work well in large open rooms. Having had both, I definitely prefer having the more convective stove in our smaller 15 x 20 living room.

Reactions: FTG-05 and Todd
Operating a modern stove is not rocket science... My wife had never operated a stove in her life and with just a bit of coaching and experience is a pro.

Personally I would not enjoy operating a stove without a nice clear viewing window. It's my leading indicator that I'm running the stove efficiently.
I wish I could get my wife to listen to the basics. She burns 2x what I do when uses my jotul.

Reactions: Itslay90
I wish I could get my wife to listen to the basics. She burns 2x what I do when uses my jotul.
You have to explain stuff the her in the language she understands. For me, I remind my wife that less wood used means more savings. She likes that

• Haha
Reactions: FTG-05 and Itslay90
My wife runs the stove differently than I do. She will never do a full load and is more comfortable with adding just a few stick more frequently. I'm fine with that and just glad that she operates the stove.

My wife runs the stove differently than I do. She will never do a full load and is more comfortable with adding just a few stick more frequently. I'm fine with that and just glad that she operates the stove.
This year I’ll be showing my wife as well, I think I got the hang of it now. I been going around fixing the lil small air leaks. I had one on my siding glass doors between the interlock weatherstripping. So let’s see how it is. I don’t know any to seal up my house too much, I still want a lil air to be flowing. As you recall. Insulated. The basement walls. The key is burn 24/7 and that was hard to do last year, because one day it was cold and the next day wasn’t. The goal for this year is to start it before it gets cold and keep it running !

I have a going on 30 yr old Regency that I'm replacing and it's about as low maintenance as you can get. No learning curve. Start a fire, once the kindling is going well, load it up w/wood, and can walk away for hours, until having to reload again. I've heard the newer ones are not as user friendly. I'm hoping that is just hearsay.

It's like a car. You'll have to learn a bit as compared to a car from 1994. But it's worth it after learning that.

Get another regency or PE and it'll be very similar even if not the same.

Do make.sure.your wood is dry.

I have a going on 30 yr old Regency that I'm replacing and it's about as low maintenance as you can get. No learning curve. Start a fire, once the kindling is going well, load it up w/wood, and can walk away for hours, until having to reload again. I've heard the newer ones are not as user friendly. I'm hoping that is just hearsay.
People that complain is the ones that just want to get their firewood October or November to put it in their newer wood burning stove, just to realize it doesn’t burn well, or produce any heat. These new stoves need dry wood I’ll say 10-15 percent. That’s when you will get most of your heat. To be honest there’s a learning curve with these new stoves.

One thing to note is that forums like this attract lots of people having problems with a variety of stoves including newer catalyst/EPA stoves. However this can be a bit misleading as for every person coming in with an issue there are likely thousands who are enjoying their stoves without issues and most folks who overcome the early learning curve see really nice benefits in the long run.

Some folks will inevitably go back to 6 cords a year of wet wood through a smoke dragon.

One thing to note is that forums like this attract lots of people having problems with a variety of stoves including newer catalyst/EPA stoves. However this can be a bit misleading as for every person coming in with an issue there are likely thousands who are enjoying their stoves without issues and most folks who overcome the early learning curve see really nice benefits in the long run.

Some folks will inevitably go back to 6 cords a year of wet wood through a smoke dragon.
Yeah. People doesn’t want to adapt to change. like I understand people are stuck in their ways, but why would a person want to do more work, and burn extra wood. With these older smoke dragon stoves.

Good point. Just like most reviews: people whom have issues w/something are the ones most likely to say something or leave a review. The ones who don't have issues, usually don't say anything.