Pelpro pp130 Odd situation this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

khpony

Sep 28, 2019
Rociada, NM
Got up this morning to my stove with a roaring fire. Very unusual. Looked in the the glass door and the burn pot was over full and also had some burning pellets the the side chambers. Firs time ever since starting up in October. I'm letting it cool down and will do a deep clean. I shut down and clean every 2-3 days and was wandering if anyone has experienced this. Thanks

I had a pelpro for about 5 years and would have similar issues. My burn pot would overflow eventually smothering the fire. My best guess would be the auger cycle is too high (pellet drop rate) and the fan is too low. MY pelpro had 4 settings for the auger and fan, the stove ran the best when they were around the same setting. If you have a fresh air intake this could also make a difference.

9 out of 10 times and overflowing pot is the sign of an airflow issue. Usually on the exhaust side.

When was the last time you cleaned the exhaust stove pipe? I have to do mine 1-2 times a month. I use a leafblower with a pvc reducer attached to slide it in the outside pipe to suck the ash out.

Reactions: johneh
My exhaust runs 10 ft up through the roof and there's about 10-12 in of snow on the roof not going to happen but I'll probably try and clean it from the bottom of the tee and back in the meantime shut it down cool it down 2 hours cleaned everything out completely and start it back up and it's running and cycling perfect for now so a little later I'll do the exhaust from the roof but in the meantime I'll probably try and do a little cleaning from the bottom of the tee thank you

My exhaust runs 10 ft up through the roof and there's about 10-12 in of snow on the roof not going to happen but I'll probably try and clean it from the bottom of the tee and back in the meantime shut it down cool it down 2 hours cleaned everything out completely and start it back up and it's running and cycling perfect for now so a little later I'll do the exhaust from the roof but in the meantime I'll probably try and do a little cleaning from the bottom of the tee thank you

You can also clean it out from the clean out T with a leaf blower. There are a number of videos online if you look. People make an adapter to hook to the T and blow it out from there. I have seen where they make a template for the stove door out of styrofoam with a hole just big enough for their shop vac hose. They run the shop vac while blowing out from the T with a leaf blower.

Both my stove exit out a side wall so accessing the end of the stove pipe is easy. If they went through the roof like yours I would blow it out from the T instead of sucking it out from the end of the stove pipe.

PROBLEM SOLVED! My own fault. It's been really cold lately and therefor I did quick 10 minute clean outs. Neglected to pull back panels in burn chamber and clean behind them. They were mostly plugged up so I did a thorough clean on them and entire fire box and now it's burning like it did when I first installed it. Plan moving forward is to do a quick clean on firebox every other day and pull/clean back panels on every other clean out. I'm stiill learning how to best operate this new pellet stove after burning wood nearly 40 years. Thanks for all the good advice. This is a great forum for wood and pellet burners. Thanks again!

Reactions: Highbeam