Pellets - Michigan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MIoutdoors

Aug 21, 2017
Michigan
Wondering who is in Michigan and what Pellets you are using or have had good luck with? I'm in southeastern MI and seem to be having a hard time finding good quality pellets. I purchased 3 tons on Kirtland pellets last year and another ton of Sommersets. I liked the Sommersets better but there is only one place here in my area that gets them. I called today and they have no clue when they're getting a shipment. I would rather not wait, only to find myself scrambling at the last minute trying to find.

Can someone recommend another brand to try?

I appreciate it.
Thanks!
Jeff

Used Michigan Wood Fuels and Pro Pellets. They both seem to work fine. Might find either at TSC, Farm and Home or Menards.
Ron

I've used Sommersets, Kirkland and Pro-Pellets. I've found Sommersets and Pro-Pellets to be about equal in quality and a hotter burning pellet than Kirklands. The Pro-pellets are about 15 to 20% less $'s than the others. Pro's are manufactured in SouthWest Michigan. I've found them at many places on the west side of the state . Saw 50 skids setting at Farm and Home.

I used to burn Kirtlands and they didn't burn so great in my stove. Pro Pellets are excellent for me and I'll keep burning them as long as I can find them. Getting harder to find them in northwest lower Michigan. Family Farm and Home, and Tractor Supply, neither carries them anymore. Family Farm and Home didn't even have their August pellet sale that I've taken advantage of every previous year even if they aren't the pellets I want. I now have to go to a local masonry store but at least they're really nice to deal with. Prices have also gone up, I just paid $272.50/ton for 4 ton but that will get me through the winter and then some. I also like to support a business that does me good because I'd like them to keep up what they're doing. But I think gone are the days when I can score deals every year on the good pellets and stock up for less than $200/ton. And that was just 2 short years ago.