Pellet Vertical Exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Guy

Sep 7, 2015
Fort Frances, Ontario
Hello,

I'm new to the pellet heat side of things. Moving away from geo thermal as hydro costs are killing me (and in my opinion sucks)
I bought an Enviro M55 Insert. In the manual and on the unit it shows I can exhaust vertical or horizontal to vertical with this insert. My question is can I just go vertical from the insert without a "T" or should I go through the wall and then vertical with the "T". Yes I am going through my roof both ways. Is one way better than the other?

Thanks

What kind of fireplace opening are you installing the unit into? Masonry fireplace or other?

What kind of fireplace opening are you installing the unit into? Masonry fireplace or other?

below is what i have built. i am not complete but gives you an idea of what it will look like

Pellet Vertical Exhaust

anyone with a M55C-FPI can help me out with this. The dealer said b/c it slides out (even further with extension rails) that I could just go completely vertical and ignore the "T" cleanout. Anyone else done this?

Last edited:
Nice looking set up. I was looking at the 55 last year but dealer support here and parts availability sucked on Enviro's although they are good units. Not your case since they are on your home turf. There are many Enviro owners here. A good dealer will likely not steer you incorrectly but some are idiots so it is good you are here getting others opinions or experiences.

I can not field your question 100%. Look in your manual for starters and see if it will answer this question. Some are not very clear and I understand that. The T's are widely used for clean out purposes and that makes good sense but IMO not needed in your case. You would separate from it anyway pulling the unit. Would you not? The venting does need to be sealed in most cases.

Use the search bar above and put your question in. Not just Enviro inserts and start there. Many operate the same with venting no matter which one you drive.

Is doing a horizontal vent straight out an option>>>>> Maybe not since you have two options and both go up. Whats right behind the hearth?

Last edited:
BTW, Welcome! It is a bit slow here because many are still doing warm weather activities and the pellets are not even on their radars yet so it might be a short waiting game for the Enviro freaks to show up. I also know you would like to get on and button up your project there. You are doing a very nice job so far. Don't get hasty and make sure you are clear on proceeding.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time then you do not have the time to re-do it, Ehh... or is it Eah?

I almost went Geo back in 2004 and reading about you ditching makes me feel better about my choices. Not much of a condolence for you so sorry. Not a total loss because you will still use Geo for AC and milder cool temps, Right? Every system has it's limits and issues.

Just like me needing boat loads of wood for the OWB. It's great but a double edged sword in more than one way. Try Googling venting options on pellet inserts. Look here with the search for quicker answers. Wish I could help more. Keep us posted and definitely get some pics up when you are done. Very nice looking job DIY and I am a design build contractor so take that as a very nice compliment.

Thanks, I actually ran into a wett guy today and he said complete vertical is fine.

I will post when done, just finished the mantel and will hopefully be installing the venting this weekend with an OAK

Oh and thanks for the welcome. Been reading lots on here and getting good info, i come on all the time to read up on forums now and it is Eh!

Glad to hear you are installing an OAK ... you did mention newer construction so fairly air-tight. When you are up and running, keep an eye on humidity levels. Humidity is crazy in the summer but mid-winter here forces me to run a humidifier.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned yet, surge protect your insert. Smoke detectors and CO monitor are required by law in Ontario. For our house, we used the linked smoke detectors - one starts and triggers the other to sound. Fire extinguisher by the doorway into your stove room is a good idea JIC.

Yah humidity is a Pain but we have an air exchanger installed so we don't have much of an issue as we can set it for different seasons.
My manual highly recommends an OAK no matter what so was planning on it following the manuals recommendations...not taking any chances and on your advice :)

Yah took your advice on another forum and went with the Selkirk DT for multi fuel might as well go for multi since mine does, it never know what might happen in the future...better to do it now then wish I did later on.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Not sure what the corn costs are locally as mine is a pellets only:oops:. Bioburner knows the values for Minnesota ... there is a specific kind to use too. I have seen many manuals for straight corn-burners that require a mix with crushed oyster shells. I think Bioburner uses a pellet/corn blend mostly. There are threads to search if that becomes your reality.:)

LOL i hope it doesn't become my reality but with all the farms around me who knows. Maybe I can get the farmer who hays my fields to pay me in corn lol.

Have you tried cherry pits, or according to me manual I could burn grass pellets.

The OAK is a great move IMO. Many debates on them here. Very heated at times too because people feel strongly both ways. One way gets it and the other does not. Sounds as if you have things worked out thus far and are able to continue which is good. I think you will enjoy the pellet heat. I sure have.

The corn added is a nice option to have. I didn't burn much but had no issues with the 50 / 50 mix I ran for a little while. Just wanted to see what it was about mainly. If you are curious go to an agri supply place and buy a couple of bags. They are much more expensive buying this way but a safe way to get a feel for it on the cheap. That's what I did. No bugs or Bio Vermin either.

Being new last fall I was not ready to go full tilt with the corn pellet mix. I was content with the pellets. Now I am looking to expand a bit and track down a good source. The price is way right too so why not take advantage of the cheaper fuels while those options are available? Eh! LOL!

Don't overwhelm yourself with everything at once. This stuff is enjoyable to a large degree. Actually kinda fun. There will be some funny stuff and lots of entertainment once it gets cold and this place gets busy. It does get addictive somewhat and you will make some good friends willing to help.

Enjoy the Enviro. I was looking at the 55 free standing and the Maxx very seriously because they are good stoves and multi-fuelers but the dealer was a clown and being in the US parts might have been a wait instead of next day etc. Another reputable dealer also said he had waiting times for parts. Probably not Enviro but US Customs and stuff. Not sure.

Bio burns a 50 / 50 mix of pellets and corn. There is some gal in WA state that burns nut shells. Goes by Snowy Rivers here I believe. Another long timer here that has tons of bio-mass burning experience.

This all hinges on what's available around you. If I recall she gets pecan shells.

Well all I know is that I just wanna try my stove out. Told the wife I am having dreams of it lol! Think she is getting jealous eh

Bags, the beauty of being a border town is you can have relatively easy access to parts from the US if that is the need. I have friends in the US that have helped me enormously by having stuff dropped off at their house and then I pick it up to bring it to Canada (always declare as I'd rather pay the taxes than get the bad name of "one of those" plus don't want to get the Border Security relative in trouble:)). The only down side is the rotten exchange rate at the moment.

It is Snowy Rivers and she is in Oregon.

Jealous........ Just wait! You will lose your spot in that room because she will like it more if she is not fond of cold weather.

Here is how my deal went down. I go and drop a chunk of cash on a new P68 and the wife was not pleased to say it bluntly. "You just spent what on another heating thingy?" Her words exactly. Then I bought another used PC45 within 4 weeks because I knew it was a good move. All said and done about $7 grand in short order with pipe etc. She was not thrilled at all.

It went from that to she fell in love with it. Shortly she re-arranged the furniture (using my lifting & moving skills) and the set up now and all of last season put her and her favorite chair front and center where the heat blows on her. I rub it in and remind her about my bad move regularly as she enjoys the heat blast daily. I think I'll beat her home one day and re-arrange the living room furniture right about the first cold snap and firing of the stove just to yank her chain.

She's a good sport. She has to be to be married to me. She just had a birthday and guess what she got from me? A muzzle. I'm serious. It had a nice chunk of cash in the package I put in there. The clerk at Pets Mart where I went to buy a cheap novelty muzzle had a kick out of it. The bank teller lost it. When she starts riding me I'll tell her to muzzle it. LOL!

The new broom last fall is a whole different story. It has low miles. She hasn't ridden it much and flown away. Yet..... We get along very well and she just rolls her eyes with my sick sarcastic humor.

She no longer has much to say about it. LOL! It is all good in the hood here.

KY is a bit far from any border. I have crossed into Canada before though. I'm sure it is different now.

There is some gal in WA state that burns nut shells. Goes by Snowy Rivers
Snowy Rivers burns hazelnuts:p She's a retired heavy equipment mechanic so usually has interesting projects on the go...

KY is a bit far from any border
Northern Guy is closer to the border than I am... opens up all variety of stoves/parts.

bags, I got close to your neck of the woods this summer - Jefferson City, MO. Was expecting more prairie (edit: especially after driving through Iowa) but I enjoyed the pleasant surprise of hills and trees. Really didn't appreciate the heat/humidity though:(

A muzzle!!! Has she ever got you back for those kinds of presents?? Bought you a dog house yet?;lol

Missouri is about a 5 - 5 1/2 drive away. St. Louis is anyway which is on the south eastern side of MO. I'm not sure how far Jefferson City is from St. Louis but I could look it up.

It is the state capitol and about central to the state from what I can think. You were probably about an 8 hour drive away from my neck of the woods. KY is way more scenic than MO and I am not saying that because I live here. After all, KY can be boring for me.

As for the muzzle, nah not trouble here. Just sick and demented humor. I stay in the dog house. LOL! She has made the comment I'm the 4th kid. We have 3.

She has taught high school chemistry for years (very smart but dumb enough to marry me) but now works (started her new position just this school year) for the board of education as an educational instructional coach and curriculum director type deal. I stay out of that as she does my design build construction business.

She knows very little about building and I do not want to know about her gig. In a nut shell she coaches other teachers, educators, and develops plans for testing and what not. I know she was ready for a change and to get out of the class room. I do not know how she does it or did it so long. I'd be fired my first week for choking out one of those little punks. ::-) <> ;hm ::-)

Bags, the beauty of being a border town is you can have relatively easy access to parts from the US if that is the need. I have friends in the US that have helped me enormously by having stuff dropped off at their house and then I pick it up to bring it to Canada (always declare as I'd rather pay the taxes than get the bad name of "one of those" plus don't want to get the Border Security relative in trouble:)). The only down side is the rotten exchange rate at the moment.

Yah the exchange is a killer atm or else I would have gone across but with taxes and duty i would have paid more. States is a stone toss across the River :) I never piss of border guys. Went through with a few friends that had a spot on their record for not declaring at border crossing and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Hence to say I will not cross with them anymore.

Lol my wife will not need a muzzle because when it all works out come winter she will convince me it was all her idea and I will probably just end up agreeing. Happy Wife Happy Life
I have to give here credit as she did help me stack the 5 tons of pellets

And its not grass my stove can burn its pellet and corn or wheat/barely but haven't seen anything about the wheat/barley

She has taught high school chemistry for years (very smart but dumb enough to marry me) but now works (started her new position just this school year) for the board of education as an educational instructional coach and curriculum director type deal. I stay out of that as she does my design build construction business.
Definitely explains a lot ... patience and a good sense of humour is needed for the high school crowd ... and apparently you!;lol One of my girls is just finishing up her BEd for high school panel.

haven't seen anything about the wheat/barley
jtakeman has apparently experimented with his Enviro Omega ... several different fuel types. A search (box upper right) will probably find more info for you when you're ready;)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/during-the-pellet-crisis-what-im-burning.125844/#post-1691887

Reactions: bags
Status
Not open for further replies.