Pellet Venting Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtbphoto

Jan 3, 2019
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I am replacing my propane freestanding stove that was once a wood stove to a Castle Serenity pellet stove. My ceiling height is about 14 feet. 140 inches of that is 6 inch pipe, the last 2 feet are 8 or 9 inch pipe. Where should I tie in my 4 inch pellet pipe? i would reduce costs by tying in about 60 inches up, or should I go the full 140 inches to the bigger 8 or 9 inch pipe?
The 8 or 9 inch pipe continues 2 feet to the roof then through the vent and an additional 5 feet or so through a chase then into the air.
Pellet Venting Questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's a lot of stove pipe to have to clean. Why don't you just direct vent through the wall outside?

Well that's a lot of stove pipe to have to clean. Why don't you just direct vent through the wall outside?
That may be the plan in the future once the roof gets replaced. Just purchased the house and want the pellet stove in ASAP, can't get on the roof because of snow and wind to cap the pipe. Plus I think you lose some heat venting it right outside instead up having a long pipe. Thanks for the input

Congratulations on your house purchase looks real nice. Those High ceilings are going to collect a lot of the heat you're going to have to have some fans blow it down if they're not there already. Oops I just looked at your picture again and I see you have a ceiling fan enjoy.

Your Serenity probably will not have enough of a combustion motor to push the exhaust up that far,through such big pipe,especially if you are at high altitude.If I had to install it through there,I would probably run 4" pellet vent inside the existing pipe.

I’d disconnect the large pipe inside and cap it inside. ( till you do the roof). Serenity recommends a max vertical of 18’, so you’ll be pretty close. If it were me....I’d vent through the sidewall if possible.

Conflicting info in the manual. I see both a 18' max recommended height, then I see 33' elsewhere. Looks pretty cheap to go out the wall around $200, I just gotta figure out how to get a ladder up 20+ feet on a 30 degree slope :) Here is a photo of the side of the house where then vent would go. It looks like I have enough clearance between windows. Also shows the chimney.
Pellet Venting Questions

Conflicting info in the manual. I see both a 18' max recommended height, then I see 33' elsewhere. Looks pretty cheap to go out the wall around $200, I just gotta figure out how to get a ladder up 20+ feet on a 30 degree slope :) Here is a photo of the side of the house where then vent would go. It looks like I have enough clearance between windows. Also shows the chimney. View attachment 237517

I see your dilemma. I saw the 18/33’ thing too. A lot of stuff in those manuals is confusing.

Ok. At least to get me through the winter I’d try disconnecting all the 6” pipe....and see if I could find an adapter to connect to the 8”.

Have you done much research on the Serenity. I use one in my basement when it gets really cold. Not sure I’d want it as a primary.

I see your dilemma. I saw the 18/33’ thing too. A lot of stuff in those manuals is confusing.

Ok. At least to get me through the winter I’d try disconnecting all the 6” pipe....and see if I could find an adapter to connect to the 8”.

Have you done much research on the Serenity. I use one in my basement when it gets really cold. Not sure I’d want it as a primary.

I have a Serenity as my primary right now and I like it, I really like the timer feature, although I wish I could put it on a 9 hour timer (7 hour max right now). I run my Serenity twice a day for a few hours usually, unless its super sunny then I can get away with just once a day to get the morning chill off. I always run the stove on the 1 (low) setting and wish it went lower sometimes. My new place is bigger and less insulated, but I think it should work ok. I just can't justify a $2-4k stove to have easier cleaning and a thermostat. Although I was temped by the Piazzetta with its bottom duct to get into my downstairs room.

I know what you mean by slowing down the serenity. I bought a gizmo on eBay, designed and built by someone on this sight. It connect in line with the vacuum switch, and periodically open the circuit, thus stopping the auger. It actually works pretty well. It’s also adjustable for on/off time.

I know what you mean by slowing down the serenity. I bought a gizmo on eBay, designed and built by someone on this sight. It connect in line with the vacuum switch, and periodically open the circuit, thus stopping the auger. It actually works pretty well. It’s also adjustable for on/off time.
Wow, that is pretty cool, now if I could only get a 9 hour timer so this thing can fire up right before I wake up. Thanks for the info I will have to search for that.

You need to put a 6 inch piece of 6 inch single wall at the connector where it turns into 8 inch. That appears it may just be a slip adapter there. You then will have to use a 6 inch to 4 inch pellet pipe adapter over the 6 inch single wall. Use high temp sealant and screws. Come off the back of the stove with a 3 to 4 inch adapter T with a cleanout. You can then use your 4 inch pipe to go up and connect to the adapter. If it’s a slip adapter you can use a longer piece of 6 in singlewall and slide it up and bring it down to connect to the adapter. If it’s not you will have to use an adjustable piece of 4 inch to make the connection.

I ordered the 4 inch pellet vent kit for through the wall. Hoping I can safely get my ladder up the side of my house. Any suggestions on capping off that 8 inch stove pipe inside?

A pie tin/plate.Buy a frozen pie and eat it if necessary,Trim it,or bend up the edges,then use tape.If you are going to do something with it in the near future,just use the low stick painting tape,leaves almost no residue.If you cannot remove it right at the ceiling,stuff some cheep pink Fiberglas insulation in it,so it is not a heat sink,wasting heat to the outside.

As far as working on a hillside,on a ladder,if the ladder has the flip down teeth,much better,to put on the spacer blocks of wood.When ladder is set,drive rebar in ground,tighten to ladder legs with ratchet straps.That is how us poor people do it.

I just rent a zoom boom for the day... much cheaper than getting hurt and missing work... I get em for a few hundred a day delivered

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ladder tips, I would love to rent a zoom boom, but I don't think I can get one up my road till summer. Another question, how will a through the wall short pipe do with wind? The vent will be on the windier side of the house.

Should not be a problem.Mine is on windy side,sticks out about 2 foot,including the jet cap,never had a problem.Blowing 15 right now,with 30mph gusts.