Pellet venting options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ktmrider

Dec 22, 2017
Golden co
I live in the mountains outside of golden Colorado and wanted to know if I ran my pellet stove vent pipe out of the side wall of me garage if that would be ok for code ? With the snow loads up here I am hesitant to route through the roof . Any help would be appreciated thx

Code is what ever is listed locally. Your owners manual shows recommended types of venting. If I understand your question correctly, your vent pipe would run from the interior of your home, out and into your garage then to the outside? Part of your vent pipe would be "exposed" in your garage?

Code is what ever is listed locally. Your owners manual shows recommended types of venting. If I understand your question correctly, your vent pipe would run from the interior of your home, out and into your garage then to the outside? Part of your vent pipe would be "exposed" in your garage?
No sorry for the confusion , I am installing it in my garage and didn't want To send it out the roof . Just wanted to know if I could vent out side wall and be to code .
I received the stove from a friend and it has no instructions or manual .

What is the stove?

Codes around where I live do not allow for a stove to be installed in a garage due to gasoline from cars and other flammable materials. I have heard others say they were required to elevate the stove 12 " off the ground for their code.

How that being said, I know quite a few around me that have a pellet stove and or wood stove in their garage.;)

Reactions: Ktmrider
You need to check with your local code enforcement...and your insurance company. Codes and rules vary from on city/municipality to the next.

NFPA 211 Chapter 13. 13.2.4 Solid fuel-burning appliances shall not be installed in any garage.

That's national code, local code can restrict it further but not override and allow that installation.

It's up to you but if you have a fire your insurance will NOT cover it.

Even go back one page 13.2.3 doesn't even allow any shop type of environment where gas or flammables are stored or used.

I know, I know a lot of people that have them in garages/shops but that's the chance they take.

Reactions: Mt Bob