Pellet vent cleaned out issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Recently swept my pallet venting all seemed well until about a day after I started burning again I noticed that there was a very small amount of fine Ash right at the bottom of the clean out which is inside of the house. I then remove clean out vacuumed it up and then put it back into place this time noticing that I was able to move it up a little bit further which told me that initially I had not replaced it correctly. As a small test I lightly hit on the venting with my hand a couple times and once again noticed that there was a small amount of ash coming out of the very bottom of the pipe. I noticed the ash was only coming out of a very small area perhaps about an inch wide on one of the parts of the pipe. To my thinking, it could be one of two things, and that likely it has something to do with the gasket which I noticed was a little bit deformed although seemingly usable. I’m thinking the other possibility could be that there’s some deformation of the actual pipe venting however this seems like a much lower chance of being the case. I’ll have to take a better look at that. That said, If I have to replace the gaskets of that clean out I believe that the venting is from Olympia and I’ve been told that their parts are only available if you’re an actual chimney sweep. If this is a simple fix of switching that gasket I’d like to be able to do that myself as I do not want to pay a lot of money for a very simple project. That said I am curious to see if generic gaskets for the sort of thing would do the trick.
Thank you 5A2C7031-C916-439B-B64E-2D10196B9AE7.jpegC7F2DEAB-F332-4C5E-A4B8-44FA5179DEC6.jpeg4EAB15EB-F16D-49A9-A818-C914A5CD3584.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea it sounds like the vent is not together correctly. Make sure all the joints are tight and the twist lock is seated all the way. Also try the leaf blower trick next time. Then you do not need to take the vent apart. It really does work

Reactions: Smokinbubba
In my case, with the olympia ventis system, i had once an issue where the gasket was actually ripped.. since it was a new purchase, it was replaced without a problem. Also, in the initial start up there was just a tiny amount of smoke coming through the connections .I was told by the support folks that it was while the gasket "settled" .. with the heat i guess.. never had a problem and put a carbon detector nearby and never went off.

I would think you can use any type of gasket or even a band of heat proof silicone to seal it off.. but i guess you will have to do a lot of tries to get it right (as the gasket is not just a band, but something like a wedge).

All of that stated, you should be able to get parts from a reseller. .these fine folks (a couple running a web store) have great prices and are rather helpful...they place the orders to olympia directly. .you might just need to get them the exact part number you need.
https://www.fireplace-chimneystore.com/

I had the same issue, mine is that black pipe and the clean out has a little handle, and 2 screws securing it, the gasket was deformed and unlikely to seal correctly, I used hi temp silicon to convince it to stay in the correct location.

[
I had the same issue, mine is that black pipe and the clean out has a little handle, and 2 screws securing it, the gasket was deformed and unlikely to seal correctly, I used hi temp silicon to convince it to stay in the correct location.
Are you able to remove the high temp silicone if you need to?

I use foil tape at every joint or i get smoke in the house. Silicone didnt do enough. But i am using the cheap duravent.

You wouldn't need to remove the silicone as it just holds the gasket in place, whenever you remove the cleanout the gasket stays in it, just don't take a putty knife to the gasket, just bang it out. I was surprised to see dust come out of the factory "T" connection coming from the stove as well as the clean out on mine, I used High Temp copper on the clean out gasket to keep it in place and black high temp on the T from the stove to the clean out. I have that black pipe so silver duct tape is unacceptable on all the joints, I also have a stove with the galvanized twist connections I just used High temp on the connections, but I like the look of the black pipe with built in gasket joints, just not the price.

I use foil tape at every joint or i get smoke in the house. Silicone didnt do enough. But i am using the cheap duravent.

No matter the brand of pipe (I have cheap and expensive between the 2 stoves), I've never found a joint that didn't leak something. As a matter of course, I use high temp silicone tape on every joint and at the end of the clean out. This tape will help seal, is easy to remove, and comes in many different colors so it isn't really noticeable on black pipes.

Pellet vent cleaned out issue

After I pushed the clean out “cup” as far at could go, and the got the stove going. I haven’t seen any ash leakage. I will keep monitoring for now, but thank you for all the insight in the event this happens again.

I use the silver tape and paint it black
Have to look hard to see it