Pellet Stove Venting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Guy

Sep 8, 2015
Killingly, CT
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a Vogelzang Model 5790 pellet stove. According to the owners manual it cannot vent any closer than 4 feet to an opening window. The first picture below shows how close the window is to the interior wall (4 feet 4 inches to be exact). With that much space between the window and the interior wall will it be possible to vent and stay just out of that 4 foot area?

If this is not a possibility can I vent it past the roof overhang outside? If so the vent would have to go past the overhang and gutter since there is only about a foot of space from the top of the window to the overhang.If I am able to do this do they sell mounting brackets that are long enough to get me past overhang and gutter since it sticks out about 14 inches?

I know this is a confusing question but I am going nuts here and the town will not help me in any way. Thank you in advance for any help!

Attachments

• Pellet Stove Venting Question
    Inside.png
    70.8 KB · Views: 200
  • Pellet Stove Venting Question
    Outside.png
    88.9 KB · Views: 191
Reread I bleave they are talking about vent termination where hot air blows out of vent.

you should be able to go 12in above window with vent termination. I would check manual to be Shure.

sorry just took a good look at pics. go through eve or around it. or look to see if you can go cornerwise and go out the other wall if that meets the spec. layed out by manual.

I cant go through the other wall because it is an interior wall.... So it is possible to vent past the eve? I would rather do that than go through it... I cant find a pipe bracket long enough to secure it to the house and get me past the eve. Are you aware if they make a longer support T?

I don't see a problem with going around the eve, as for a bracket I am unaware of a bracket to accomplish this type of install. If you are handy you could make a custom bracket. But if one is made to do this , somebody on this site will know and let you know. As I am a newbie also the people are knowledgeable and vary helpful.

It is unfortunate that this model has not been tested with an attached OAK, so you don't get any clearance relief for installing one :(. Carl is correct, the clearance is from the ceneter of the end of the exhaust outlet, not to the pipe as it comes out the wall. I have a long eave, so am able to get my clearance by having about 1.5' of pipe past the siding.

If they make long stand-off brackets, I am unaware of them. Here is a previous discussion that may (or may not) give you some ideas. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/adjustable-vent-bracket-standoff.117445/

Thanks Bob. Do you think if I build something out of wood to attach the bracket to the house that the inspector will be ok with that? Something to act as an extension.

Considering the fact that I could screw the bracket directly into wood siding I can't think of why they would have an issue with it???

Thank you very much for your advice and time this far!

Thanks Bob. Do you think if I build something out of wood to attach the bracket to the house that the inspector will be ok with that? Something to act as an extension.

Considering the fact that I could screw the bracket directly into wood siding I can't think of why they would have an issue with it???

Thank you very much for your advice and time this far!

Also the window that is causing the issue only opens on the bottom. The top half of the window does not open. Because of this should I only need to be 1 foot above the bottom half of the window since the top half is stationary?

All inspectors are different in how they interpret manuals / codes, so I really can't say to either of your question :(. Maybe someone with more experience with this type of set up will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.