Pellet stove start cycle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Make and model ??

I agree. It would be helpful to know what stove you have. I'd first see if the combustion blower spins freely. Then I'd power it with a test lead plugged straight into an outlet assuming that it's a 120V blower. This would confirm that the blower is working on it's own.

Reactions: tlc1976 and johneh
If the combustion fan is not working the stove
will not start you need it for the vacuum to close vac switch
witch, in turn, allows the auger to work and the igniter to come on

Ashley AP566ol l have ran blower motor with extension cord, but no power from board .fuse good on board,their is continuity on each side of fuse clamps threw board.

Unplug the stove, Pull the fuse from the board and check it for continuity. To be sure

Is the overheat switch tripped on the back of the heat exchanger?

TLC can you explain where a over heat switch might be l am seeing a switch on the left side I think it's the e-2 error switch, that is the error I get after I push start, temperature flashes 76,then e-2 error, no fan for exoust I remember the fan always started first. Fan for exoust has sensor but no continuity, I tried jumping no go.
Ok I believe I found over heat switch, continuity threw switch ,I am assuming that is good?

Last edited:
The overheat switch should have a red button .
push it and see if it clicks If it does try to start your stove

Thanks, I pushed, did not click did not go in eather ,push harder?Tried again, rats! The switch is closed, I'm assuming it should be, tried jumping, no luck.
I will be in and out snowing here, project in shop.

Last edited:
E2 is most likely a vacuum error, which makes sense because no blower means no vacuum.

If you run the exhaust blower with the cord, can you see if the stove runs normally otherwise? If it runs fine then fix or replace the board. I wouldn’t run unattended with the fan hot wired to the plug unless you at least have a fuse in place.

Pluged in fan pushed start,at least I did not get e2 error .But no pellet dropping and no heat from igniter, rats! Thanks I will never run a stove without all factory stuff.

Wow nothing? Probably the board but I’d make sure all wiring and connections are good.

5660 had an old and new style control. If your stove has the separate panel with the bar graph display (new style, same as 5770 and 5790), you can try this test for the board and stove components. Scroll about 1/4 the way down this page.

Ok thanks went threw test got to item 10 ,test stated exoust blower ramping up ,but no run, all doors closed. Rats! Thanks a million for the help!!

So how did the rest of the test go? Did the auger turn and drop pellets? Did the igniter start to get warm (takes a couple minutes to get warm)? Were you able to walk through all the steps?

You can check the auger and room blower motors with a lamp cord too. If those are good then I would think it’s a problem with the power supply board with the relays and thyristors. See if anything looks burned. They’re pretty expensive but it might be able to be repaired.

Well I got to when the blower was supposed to run and it did not run,I figured that was the end of the line sort of speak.
Nothing happened after that. Thanks