Pellet stove piping though basement window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Matthewmiller259

Sep 29, 2024
Wisconsin
Morning everyone. Got a question. I'm venting my pellet stove piping 3" through an existing window in my basement. All piping is double wall insulated and the wall thimble I'm using is a class b 3" I had from a previous project. Iv attached a picture of the current setup. I removed the glass and sandwiched the thimble with 2 pieces of plywood. Should I use an actual thimble for pellet stoves or will this class b be ok? Also with the plywood being used should I change it to drywall as a non combustible? If so any suggestions for the outside material as it would be exposed to the winter snow etc. Highest temp I saw testing was around 90 degrees after running for 30 mins. Please don't flame me as I know this is not to code lol. I'm basically setting this up so I can remove the piping for summer or if I move it's easily removable.

Thanks for any replies

[Hearth.com] Pellet stove piping though basement window

yes you should use the thimble. Yes your not to code and your taking a huge chance as if a fire ever happened even if it was not due to the stove once your insurance see's that the stove is not to code they will cancel your insurance on the spot and now your really screwed because you tried to save a few $$. Not worth the risk

yes you should use the thimble. Yes your not to code and your taking a huge chance as if a fire ever happened even if it was not due to the stove once your insurance see's that the stove is not to code they will cancel your insurance on the spot and now your really screwed because you tried to save a few $$. Not worth the risk
Why should a person think this is smart to do lol

Drywall is not usually a non-combustible as it has paper. You could probably use durock cement board if you wanted.

Use a pellet stove thimble. Yes, in the picture below the edge of the reflectix is outside the edge of the thimble - just the high temp tape is touching the metal - and the pipe is farther than the clearance needed to the sheetrock.

[Hearth.com] Pellet stove piping though basement window