Pellet Stove Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreckleFace

Nov 19, 2014
Central PA
We currently have a wood boiler and want to supplement that heat source with a pellet stove. The boiler is in the basement and currently vented up from the basement through a fireplace in our living room, and then up through the attached chimney.

We have limited space and would like to use the fireplace and/or hearth for installation of a pellet stove. Because of the existing pipes going up through the fireplace, I don't know if an insert is an option for us. Not sure there is enough room inside of the fireplace.

My question is: Is it possible to install a standard pellet stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace and vent it directly out the back of the masonry chimney (past the existing woodstove pipes) just as you would install the stove on any exterior wall of the house? Or, might you know of a better option for us?

Thanks for your help!

Sure, that fireplace is no longer a fireplace but a nice looking brick wall and hearth. Aside from making sure things are structurally sound, I cant see an issue with going thru the wall with the pipe.

Is your boiler attached to a liner that then goes up the chimney tile? What is that connection like?

Before buying our house, the home inspector found that the boiler was not vented properly. The homeowner paid to have the correct pipe put in. I'm trying to remember the exact configuration. I believe the pipes from the wood boiler go directly up through the fireplace all the way to the top of the masonry chimney. When I look up inside the fireplace I can see the pipe leading up and there is insulation packed all around it.

We're also wondering...in this setup, assuming that we vent the pellet stove directly through the back of the chimney/exterior brick wall of the house, do we need a wall thimble?

The thimble is only needed to maintain clearances to the combustibles in the wall. Since there are no combustibles where you want to vent through, a thimble is not needed.

Before buying our house, the home inspector found that the boiler was not vented properly. The homeowner paid to have the correct pipe put in. I'm trying to remember the exact configuration. I believe the pipes from the wood boiler go directly up through the fireplace all the way to the top of the masonry chimney. When I look up inside the fireplace I can see the pipe leading up and there is insulation packed all around it.

What you are seeing is a called a liner.

Id still use a thimble. May neaten it up outside and in and make things easier to seal. I'm not a fan of galv vent pipe being right butt up against masonry. L vent is galv outer, stainless inner.

Reactions: Polar Bear
Status
Not open for further replies.