Q&A Pellet Stove Glass getting Dirty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have an Earthstove pellet stove that vents from the top through a 4 inch pipe into an existing 8" square chimney. I have a difficult time keeping the window clean on this unit. I have tried rearranging the logs- and adjusting the fan. All of these things did not seem to help. My question is will running 4" flex piping up the existing chimney correct this problem or is something else causing this

Answer:

Glass doors on Pellet Stoves do not stay as clean as those on the new woodstoves. So you have to live with cleaning it now and then.If your stove is not well sealed...worn gasket- etc.- this will cause the glass to get dirty. Also- if the inside of the heat exchangers is dirty- this slows down the draft and causes dirty glass...and then the draft of the chimney also affects it.Still- lining the chimney would help the draft a bit- and improve the condition. All Pellet Stoves installed into chimneys larger than 6" round should have a smaller liner installed inside the existing chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.