Pellet Stove does not run a shut down cycle when turned off.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fbd

Dec 19, 2019
Connecticut
I had previously posted about a Harman p34 that I was having trouble with. Everyone has been so helpful! However now that we are getting is started up for the winter I am having trouble again. When you turn the switch to off the stove IMMEDIATELY shuts off and does not run the pellet feeding cycle to prevent back burn. I checked the circuit board and there does not seem to be any bad solder joints and I cant see and shorts in the wired as of yet although my work are is not very well lit. Any suggestions as to where to start looking would be great.

Almost sounds like a bad ESP probe...Although not guaranteed because something else could be wrong with the control board. Usually if the stove senses any sort of temperature above a threshold it runs the shutdown procedure until it drops below. ...I'm betting something related to that...how does it work otherwise because that may rule this suspicion.

Almost sounds like a bad ESP probe...Although not guaranteed because something else could be wrong with the control board. Usually if the stove senses any sort of temperature above a threshold it runs the shutdown procedure until it drops below. ...I'm betting something related to that...how does it work otherwise because that may rule this suspicion.

It seems to be working well otherwise, although I have not run the stove throughly because of my concerns about it not shutting down properly. The burn pot does get hot and I can smell the pellets beginning to ignite but quickly shut it down so as not to have anything burning in the pot. Thankfully I have only a small bit of pellets left in the hopper so if I need to diagnose and it seems to not be working properly I will let it run out of pellets. I was thinking it was a probe problem as well. I had a similar issue with a Maxim pellet furnace. Fluctuating temperatures and inconsistent burning. As soon as I replaced the probe, it worked well.

It seems to be working well otherwise, although I have not run the stove throughly because of my concerns about it not shutting down properly. The burn pot does get hot and I can smell the pellets beginning to ignite but quickly shut it down so as not to have anything burning in the pot. Thankfully I have only a small bit of pellets left in the hopper so if I need to diagnose and it seems to not be working properly I will let it run out of pellets. I was thinking it was a probe problem as well. I had a similar issue with a Maxim pellet furnace. Fluctuating temperatures and inconsistent burning. As soon as I replaced the probe, it worked well.

If the ESP is bad usually it can sense it an give you a 6 blink if it totally fails, but if that probe is just giving wrong values it will probably go through startup and after a while error out on failed ignition since it seems to be reading as if it is a cold stove.

If the ESP is bad usually it can sense it an give you a 6 blink if it totally fails, but if that probe is just giving wrong values it will probably go through startup and after a while error out on failed ignition since it seems to be reading as if it is a cold stove.
Ah ok that makes sense. I’ll have to start it up and see if it fails. It does a 4 blink but I don’t have the room temp probe set up at the moment.