pellet stove + creosote & snake oils??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tractorboy924

Hearth Supporter
Jul 7, 2008
Western NY
Like Wood burning stoves and/ or fireplaces......does it do any good to put some of that creosote "killer"
or other "additives" to help with creosote build up or anything.

Im sorta assuming not since most including myself clean chimney alot. even a couple of times during year during a shut down to ensure chimney clear.

Im just wondering if any use that stuff or no.

My Ussc stove going on 3rd season and shes running great. I have noticed that we dont run it on too low of a setting.....3 and above and if we run lower setting get alot of ash build up inside the fire box.

I like this WAAaaaaaaaayyy better than cutting wood!! so glad we went with it!!!!!

Wood pellets are not like burning wood. Their dried out and don't create creosote. I only clean my pipe outside by running my 3" brush threw it at the end of the season and there's nothing in there except fine ash and not that much of it. I burn 4 to 5 ton a season and my outside pipe is about 20' in length.

Reactions: Ssyko
Like Wood burning stoves and/ or fireplaces......does it do any good to put some of that creosote "killer"
or other "additives" to help with creosote build up or anything.

Im sorta assuming not since most including myself clean chimney alot. even a couple of times during year during a shut down to ensure chimney clear.

Im just wondering if any use that stuff or no.

My Ussc stove going on 3rd season and shes running great. I have noticed that we dont run it on too low of a setting.....3 and above and if we run lower setting get alot of ash build up inside the fire box.

I like this WAAaaaaaaaayyy better than cutting wood!! so glad we went with it!!!!!

We are into our second full season with pellets. Still burning wood as well, but much less. As Jericho pointed out, creosote isn’t an issue. Save the snake oil for oiling up the snake.

Creosote 17 years burning pellets never had any . Lots of
ash but no Creosote . In a wood stove does the snake oik work ???

I think I have a creosote problem in my pellet stove but think it is user error. Not sure I burned a 1/2 ton but probably will not try the additives. Inside of the stove is gloss black. Will make a separate post.

I don't think you should ever have creosote with pellets as long as the flame is adjusted correctly. I run my stove on the lowest setting most of the time, and have for 3 years, and no creosote, just ash.