Pellet quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lefty Ef3

Nov 26, 2018
New Jersey 08079
I just picked up 4 bags of lignetic gold has any body burned these? I usually burn the regular lignetics and they are the best available ones in our area in my opinion here in southern New Jersey I’m hoping to get less ash on my glass,they are about a 1 dollar more a bag..

Fly ash on view glass has little to do with pellet quality and more to do with combustion air flow (draft) and the major fallacy that stove retailers and builders alike like to float is the air wash lie. None of them (stoves) will 'wash the view glass' with combustion air to any extent so fly as will always accumulate. fact of using a biomass stove.

I clean mine almost daily. I use a NATURAL BRISTLE 1" PAINT brush and do it while my unit is operating. I open the door, sweep of the view glass and close the door. Takes about 15 seconds tops. DO NOT USE A POLY BRISTLE PAINT BRUSH, the bristles will melt to the glass with very bad results.

Fly ash on view glass has little to do with pellet quality and more to do with combustion air flow (draft) and the major fallacy that stove retailers and builders alike like to float is the air wash lie. None of them (stoves) will 'wash the view glass' with combustion air to any extent so fly as will always accumulate. fact of using a biomass stove.

I clean mine almost daily. I use a NATURAL BRISTLE 1" PAINT brush and do it while my unit is operating. I open the door, sweep of the view glass and close the door. Takes about 15 seconds tops. DO NOT USE A POLY BRISTLE PAINT BRUSH, the bristles will melt to the glass with very bad results.
Thanx for the reply I have about half way to go and I can see how much ash I have ..feels like the same heat as the regular lignetics the glass has the same ash on it doesn’t look like the usual amount of darkness in the corners though.the only way I have been able to keep the glass cleaner is to lay a piece of channel iron across the front of the burn pot to redirect the air flow..now my Harmon in the garage that I have probably burned 5 or more bags in so far is nice and clean and when I run that stove I run it hard in turbo mode. I will continue to experiment

I have no idea about 'turbo' mode, I don't have a Harman, what I'm telling you is the air wash thing is basically a lie.

They all get dirty glass. Easiest indicator with a black view glass is to little combustion air for fuel consumed. So long as the fuel to air ration is correct, you will only get a fine coating of fly ash on the view glass.

Like mine right now and I'm supplying additional combustion air and I get a very light ash coating which I remove every other day with a paintbrush. Takes 15 seconds tops. I'm running pedal to the metal as it's cold and windy here today. Blowing through about 100 pounds of corn every 24 hours,

I have no idea about 'turbo' mode, I don't have a Harman, what I'm telling you is the air wash thing is basically a lie.

They all get dirty glass. Easiest indicator with a black view glass is to little combustion air for fuel consumed. So long as the fuel to air ration is correct, you will only get a fine coating of fly ash on the view glass.

Like mine right now and I'm supplying additional combustion air and I get a very light ash coating which I remove every other day with a paintbrush. Takes 15 seconds tops. I'm running pedal to the metal as it's cold and windy here today. Blowing through about 100 pounds of corn every 24 hours,
Yeah I know my stoves are to old for the fabled air wash.

Air wash is more like a wenie wash really. :p