pellet funnel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrushcj7

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
Barre MA

Attachments

• pellet funnel
    PLE-75849.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 808
Hey Orange. I've noticed a lot of people have viewed your post but no answers yet. I'm just curious as to why you don't just get it from Northern. The price is cheap enough and even with shipping (it's only 2 lbs.) I think it would be about the same as trying to hunt one down and pay sales tax. I think it looks good for what you want to use it for. I was thinking of using one of the wife's plastic mixing bowls (don't tell) lol that come in a set. the big one or the next one down in size looks perfect. Anyway good luck with your vac.

The funnel is $10, and the shipping is $8. I can't justify doubling the price of my vac - that kinda defeats the whole purpose. I bought a bowl from the dollar store, but there is too much flat area at the bottom, so the pellets just sit in the bowl, and don't flow out without my hand twirling them around

When I bought the plans for my cleaner it called for a floor drain, minus the grill, for the funnel. After pricing them I opted to use a PVC reducer. I'll have to look but I believe what I got was a 4" to 2" reducer for a couple of bucks. It works well as a funnel but doesn't hold many pellets so I built a rack out of scrap lumber to hold a 5 gallon bucket above the funnel. Cut a 2" hole in the bottom, center of the bucket and made a sliding cover for it out of scrap luan. I can fill the bucket, set it on the rack, open the slide to adjust how fast it feeds pellets into the funnel and presto....no hands Ma! :lol: The bucket isn't perfect, it will generally empty about two thirds of the way before you have to shake or tilt the bucket to get the rest of the pellets to fall through but it's certainly easier than standing there pouring or scooping pellets into the funnel.

That funnel from Northern looks nice but if the hole is only 1 1/4" I suspect it would be too small to feed the pellets well. Even my 2" hole is too small for longer pellets.

Hey swimman, that's a real nice setup you have there!

Steve

orangecrushcj7 said:
anyone know where one of these can be purchased in the central massachusetts area? not online I mean.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_13240_13240

It would be the perfect hopper on my pellet vacuum. it even has threads.
The neck is kinda small on that funnel IMO.
Why not use a 8"X6" stovepipe reducer slipped into a 6"X4"? Further reductions can be made from there if necessary.
This would allow for a larger mass of pellets to be put in the bowl resulting in easier and quicker pouring.

swimman said:
Funnel? We don't need no stinkin' funnel when we have a 5 gallon water jug!!!

This is what I'm using for my vac system.

pellet funnel

American ingenutity at its finest! Been watching all these posts on fines and the ways to clean them out and its amazing how there is always a better way to build a mousetrap. Now, if we could just figure out how to fix the Wall Street mess....

orangecrushcj7 said:
The funnel is $10, and the shipping is $8. I can't justify doubling the price of my vac - that kinda defeats the whole purpose. I bought a bowl from the dollar store, but there is too much flat area at the bottom, so the pellets just sit in the bowl, and don't flow out without my hand twirling them around
Now I know why, geesh what a rip. I guess they won't be selling many of those. I love the water bottle idea and just happen to have a round 5 gallon one laying around. Good point about the flat bottom on the bowl.

Don't know where you can buy one at a store but surely they have them at equipment supplies and contractors supply stores. What that really is by name is a 55 gallon barrel funnel so may be you can find one by calling around using that name. Of course you could make one up easily enough by buying a tractor funnel at Tractor supply or similar and soldering or epoxying a plumbing fitting 2" me thinks, to the end of the funnel and removing the short spout. Seems like a lot of work though. Take a look at Harbor Freight Tools and see if they sell them. You might be able to get one there fairly cheap if you cob up an order over 50 bucks.

This was my solution to the "problem"...a plastic bowl & plastic funnel hot glued together....works like a charm...$3 at WallyMart

Attachments

• pellet funnel
    Pellet cleaner 2.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 384
Mac, Now that's using your noggin . The stuff you folks come up with never ceases to amaze me. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.