Pellet boiler/LP boiler plumbing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomtom

Hearth Supporter
Aug 23, 2010
Upstate NY
I am installing a pellet boiler which I am tieing in to my present LP fired baseboard radiation. The PB is non pressureized. In the interest of cost and efficiency, I am depressurizing my present system and having common water in the two boilers. All elements of my present system are at an elevation below the PB, so I think I will be OK with purging and keeping the air out. I'll probably end up with about 4# of pressure at the boiler. I will remove my present air scoop.

It would seem that the simplest way to plumb it would be to tie the LP boiler into the primary loop so it is in series with the PB and do the closely spaced tee bit off that loop, feeding the zone valves. If I do a parallel type of installation, I come up with so many design scenarios my head spins. I would like to do it right the first time. I think I have a fairly straightforward design problem, but after reading all four of Dan Holihan's books, I still do not feel confident to do a design without some help! Anyone?

Any kind of diagram is a huge help in understanding what you're talking about.

Why are you removing your current air scoop?

Usually you want to avoid heating the existing boiler, especially if it doesn't have a draft damper or forced draft, as you'll be losing heat up the chimney 24/7. Otherwise it sounds good.

Benjamin - I thought that my air scoop would not be effective, that was seconded by the PB supplier. Apparantly they are not typically used on a non pressureized system. I did not include a diagram due to the simplicity of the system and didn' t want to post a diagram that was not correct, which is what I am looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies.