PE Summit wind noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avi

Sep 4, 2016
Israel
Hey all,
Anyone get soft clunking noises from the firebox when the wind is up? I think it might be the firebricks moving against the walls ... as the noise stops if I open the door...
Thanks

Is this a new stove. Wondering if you are hearing the EBT?

Is this a new stove. Wondering if you are hearing the EBT?
It is a new stove -- I guess it could be the EBT -- but I've been experimenting a bit and I can get the sound by opening and closing the door -- wasn't happening right when we got the oven -- it is as if some relatively small metal piece is rattling ... besides the EBT are there any other pieces that could be loose internally?

It is a new stove -- I guess it could be the EBT -- but I've been experimenting a bit and I can get the sound by opening and closing the door -- wasn't happening right when we got the oven -- it is as if some relatively small metal piece is rattling ... besides the EBT are there any other pieces that could be loose internally?
It is the EBT flapper, perfectly normal.

Yes. The EBT is essentially a barometric damper on the secondary air. It can be affected by draft variations.

I hear the same noises from my stove sometimes and can reproduce it opening and closing the door too. It's normal.

The summit is a bit of a talker, besides the EBT flapper it likes to express itself on reloads with some pinging and dinging I find.

My insert does the same, the little guard in front of the door sometimes makes a pinging noise when opening the door. When it was windy the other day, with no fire in it I could hear it making the noise.

What is the EBT?

PE Summit wind noisePE Summit wind noise
EBT2

Our second-generation Extended Burn Technology, or EBT2, precisely regulates secondary airflow based on vacuum created by the chimney for a longer, cleaner, more economical burn. This automatically adjusts the secondary combustion system, for a cleaner, more efficient burn and extended burn time.

From PE's site

okay - thanks all - guess I'll get used to it -- otherwise the stove is great ... as I'm sure ya'll already know ...

hmmm ... was hearing that sound a lot tonight as the wind is up and decided to take another look ... also because the rattle happens almost every time I shut the door ... you're probably right and it is the EBT, because what I saw wouldn't make that kind of noise, but I noticed that on the right side the baffle is not sitting on the fire brick rail at the from corner and that the rail itself is loose and can be easily moved unlike the rail on the other side which is stationary and stable. The stove was just installed a little while ago so thinking of having the guy come back and take a look -- it seems to me that the baffle should sit square on both sides and the rails should be firmly stationary ... right?

The side pieces are 'loose' but should be fairly secure and everything should be square, the baffle should sit square and be fully seated along the rear.

In the rear rear it sits seated and sealed onto the secondary air supply tube(metal box running up between bricks).

The baffle sits on top of the siderails and should look square and lay flat espescially because your stove is new and presumably not warped from overfiring.

Is your baffle retaining pin in place at the rear of the baffle/firebox?

If one of your siderails looks slightly askew. I'd try straightening it myself by hand first before calling out the installer.

Post a pic if you're wondering.

In the rear rear it sits seated and sealed onto the secondary air supply tube(metal box running up between bricks).

The baffle sits on top of the siderails and should look square and lay flat espescially because your stove is new and presumably not warped from overfiring.

Is your baffle retaining pin in place at the rear of the baffle/firebox?

If one of your siderails looks slightly askew. I'd try straightening it myself by hand first before calling out the installer.

Post a pic if you're wondering.
I'm at work (not Thanksgiving over here) but when I get home I'll take a look again ... from what I saw last night I think that the baffle is slightly askew - it feels solidly in place but the right back corner isn't quite in place, which in turn means that the right front corner isn't sitting on the rail at all ... I didn't check the retaining pin but will ... as far as the siderail goes - its not that its not straight, just that it moves a lot - but that could be due to the fact that the weight of the baffle isn't sitting on it fully ...? maybe this picture helps you can see that the baffle is off the rail...
PE Summit wind noise

Lift the baffle up on the side it is hanging on, and shift the baffle over so it spans equally on both sides, on both rails. Make sure the pin is in place at the back baffle tab hole.

Reactions: Squisher
Yup. Do exactly as Mr. Hogwildz has instructed.

Here's a picture(not great) of my baffle sitting along the siderails.

PE Summit wind noise

Only pull the pin if you need to.

Thanks - so unpin it, shift it and square everything and then re-pin it ... got it.
Nope, leave pin in place, and slide the baffle so it is even between the side rails it rests on. Sometimes mine shifts when loading it up against the bottom of the baffle, and when it is hot, I just use my poker tip into one of the front holes and gently tap it over whichever direction I want it to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.