PE SUMMIT old vs new

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peterr

Jan 15, 2018
SE Ontario, Canada
Hi guys/gals,

Im looking at potentially buying a PE summit insert and came across a used series "A" 2010 that looks like its in good condition. Is there any differences that would effect burn time or ease of operation that would make me lean towards a brand new unit instead?

thanks

The summit is a good stove. That said, if you dont know what to look for with the condition of a used stove, you could put yourself and your family in danger.

Look for signs of over firing. White marks on the sides, warped baffle, cracked welds, etc.

Also, things such as fresh paint or new parts can clue you in to a stove that has seen rough duty and the owner is trying to hide damage.

I'd try to find somebody knowledgable to inspect it for you. You dont want to find out you made a mistake with 60lbs of flaming wood in it.

Examine the face of the door opening and look for any cracking in the corners. Examine the firebox for signs of overfiring like a badly sagging baffle, warped brick rails & front air deflector. Note if there are lots of cracked and crumbling bricks. Look for the stove top paint going light grey paint.

I have read about some problems with the old EBT system, Is it possible to get it working as good as the new EBT with some of the mods (foil tape trick, modifying damper etc..)?

The EBT1 and EBT2 are very different. The EBT1 works thermostatically on the boost air, the EBT2 works like a barometric damper on the secondary air. One should not arbitrarilly assume the stove needs modification. Foil tape on the EBT1 intake hole eliminates boost air. There may not be a need to modify the EBT1 on a Summit A at all unless draft is strong.

How tall is the chimney?

If the insert passes inspection and if you install it, try it out for a season. If the wood burned is not fully dry then having boost air can be a good thing. It's easy to mod if draft proves to be too strong.

Late to the party !

Check the blower fan assembly. Look for dust build up, cat / dog hairs, ash, etc.

Excessive build up would tell me, that the stove / insert was not maintained.

Ask me how I know about the blower assembly :mad: