PE Summit Firebrick placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molsonlabatt

Aug 20, 2015
Wolford, Ont
I Recently upgraded to a new wood stove. A Pacific energy Summit to replace a very inefficient behemoth (seen below).

My question is why is there two brick layouts for "ITEM F' and which one are the hearth members choosing?
I currently have it set up as the 'without Ash cleanout system installed', since my stove does not have an ash clean out.

Your serup is correct. Our stove has the ash hole and thus has the half brick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OK, now looking at your post on a computer screen, not a cellphone. A guess would be a wider secondary supply tube, but that is just a guess. Our stove's supply tube is 3" wide on our 8 yr old T6 (Summit A firebox).

Same as begreen here 2007 T6 with ash chute. Pattern shown above with ash chute looks like my layout. Secondary air channel is between the two middle bricks in the rear.

How about posting a picture inside the rear of the firebox.

I would add off topic that I continue to have rather rapid deterioration of the lightweight PE OEM "pumis" fire bricks on the floor of the stove in front of the baffle air holes. They essentially delaminate and turn into "chunks of lava " and break loose. After flipping and replacing these numerous times, I believe I will try the denser old school firebrick in the area that has deteriorated on the floor of the stove.

I will be cleaning our stove out shortly and will investigate the floor bricks for wear. They're still original and haven't been flipped yet. It may be my lazy ways and less frequent ash cleanouts? Do you use an ash rake?

I will be cleaning our stove out shortly and will investigate the floor bricks for wear. They're still original and haven't been flipped yet. It may be my lazy ways and less frequent ash cleanouts? Do you use an ash rake?
Yes on the ash rake, but interestingly I rake from the rear towards the front center - so the front center actually gets raked very little compared to the other areas of the stove floor. And it is the area underneath where the ash/coals get raked where the firebricks deteriorate.

The other thoughts on this phenomenon are that the locust that I burn is "processed" and can be "dirty" > so I am thinking it could be the silicates accumulating in the ash pile then fusing into pumice firebrick with all the heat infront of the baffle secondaries?

That make sense, the baffles are the same part afaik. From the diagram it looks like the back corner overlap of the bricks may be different. Note the different side brick on one vs the other. The ash hole version has a narrower brick in the #2 spot while the non-ash pan version has a full-sized brick there.

Status
Not open for further replies.