PE Summit Burn Question/Fan Speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crepitus

Oct 24, 2017
North NJ
So I have had the stove for about 2 months now. It has been heating the house well (2400sqf colonial). With this current cold spell I have been trying to crank it to keep up with the cold. On reload I turn the blower off or to low to try to get the temp up faster. It really never goes above 600f. Once there I close the damper and it burns nice. I really never ran the blower above 1/2 speed but with the cold I turn it up to full once the stove is at 600f. Stove temp drops to about 450-500. I know my wood is not ideal 25%. Would this be the cause of the temp not maintaining and the reason I cannot get it above 600f? All the reading I am dong points to this I guess.

Also where can I get baffle gaskets online for the summit insert?

Makes a difference what type of wood you are burning, and the size of the splits. Larger splits = lower temps, longer burns. 600 degrees is pretty good, the fan will cool it right down though, as it pushes the air into your room. 25% is pretty juicy, next year that wood will be be perfect.

I got my baffle gasket from the dealer I had him order me about 5. They are about $4 to $5 bucks a piece but the shipping was like $14. So he just had me wait till he put in an order and saved me on shipping. I have been told here from others when u clean the stove at the end of the year the gasket usually needs replaced its very thin and doesn't hold up from moving the top baffle and getting it displaced. Your temp problem could be from your wood not being dry enough. Larger pieces will last longer, but the blower will cool it down. I have my blower set on the lowest setting and that is usually to much. Once your house gets up to temp it should not be working as hard. But you also have to remember it's not 30 it's single digits with real cold win chills. Begreen or Hogwildz might be able to give u some better help, that is just my thought. I have also found out once you get the fire established, start cutting the air quickly half increments till it is all the way down. I have seen temps at 600 to 650 and it holds for a fairly long time 3 to 5 hours till it starts dropping. Everyone's setup and wood is different, just play around with it. When it's cold like this it's working much harder, burn times drop and consumption goes up nothing u can do about it just the way it is. Good luck!

Reactions: Squisher
I went to my in laws yesterday and swiped some wood. Well seasoned oak measuring about 8-10%. Stove got up to 650 and I shut it down and kicked the fan on high. The temp still dropped to 500-550. Got up to check on the burn and I had a huge pile of coals still left, not a good burn. Guess I need to leave the air open a bit more on the overnight burn. So I guess I can rule out the wood moisture.

Is your insert connected to a chimney on an exterior wall of your home? Do you have an insulated liner inside your chimney? Try to give us as much information about your setup as you can. What size splits are you using and how many do you load at one time?

You need to run up a bit hotter. If you are looking for serious heat output you'll want to hit 700-750 stovetop. The picture is blurry(because of the heat lol) but that is 750-800. I'd aim more for 700 when you're first starting to push the higher temps. Don't overshoot.

I'd recommend not using the fan at all when feeling out the top end of the heat range, then if you are getting hot enough to scare yourself you can always turn it on to cool things down.

PE Summit Burn Question/Fan Speed

Attachments

• PE Summit Burn Question/Fan Speed
    IMG_1556.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 128
I only seem to get to 700 or so before I turn the blower on. I have a condar temp gauge and once I start getting to 700 it puts me in the red. Squisher do you think I could go hotter or just keep around there. I also am running an insert not a free standing stove. My temp gauges are on the front right above the door

I wouldn't push any hotter if you're satisfied with the output. I only push my stove hard if I'm really looking for the btu's.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Thanks Squisher I'm pretty happy with the output. I think it's funny how I have two temp gauges on the stove one above each corner of the door and the temps can be 50 to 75 degrees different. They are different gauges so that could be one cause, but my Oslo was the same way. Anyone else see readings like this.

The stove top temp will drop with the fan on, as it is blowing off heat - as it is intended. Turn the fan off and you will see the stove top temp increase - depending on the blower speed, 100 or more degrees is about what I would normally see.

Baffle gasket, make your own out of either window gasket material, or 3/8" door gasket material - don't waste your time and money on the OEM gasket.

Search this forum "baffle gasket" and user Hogwildz first published circa 2008 or so

Reactions: Squisher