PE Alderlea T5 gasket replacement questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GreenElf

Jun 8, 2020
Usa
Our door gasket for the Alderlea T5 finally failed and needs replacing. Our local retailer where we bought the stove sold us a piece of new gasket, but it's not PE brand and won't fit in the rounded channel on the door (it's a flat gasket). My spouse thinks it's fine and we can just make it work, but reading here and online, it seems to me it's critical to have the PE gasket. I'm reading about doors being too loose or too tight, and improper gaskets changing the burn times/way the stove operates. Is that true, or can other gaskets be made to work? Also, with the PE gasket, is it self stick or does it require additional cement?

Tell hubby to get the PE OEM gasket. All gaskets are not created equal. There can be a notable difference in construction and density. I tried 2 non-OEM gaskets on our T6. One was a Rutland and the other a Meeco, from a local PE dealer. Both made a poor seal. The Meeco was flat out dangerous to burn with. I replaced the gasket with a genuine PE gasket using RTV silicone and it was perfect. Our first gasket lasted 9 yrs. Given how long they last, just get the right part and don't accept a substitute. The door gasket does not self stick. The channel must be thoroughly cleaned first, then adhered with a moderate bead of RTV silicone.