PE Alderlea Baffle Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

amateur

Nov 11, 2019
NE
Hello, been reading this thread trying to figure out what I'm looking at.
1. Does the baffle insulation look right? Pushing the cover up as it is. Or should the cover sit flush?
2. Can somebody explain where—in the firebox—the side insulation behind the brick rail should sit so that the baffle works properly? What insulation "seals the baffle to the sides of the box"?
PE Alderlea Baffle QuestionPE Alderlea Baffle Question

Hello, been reading this thread trying to figure out what I'm looking at.
1. Does the baffle insulation look right? Pushing the cover up as it is. Or should the cover sit flush?
2. Can somebody explain where—in the firebox—the side insulation behind the brick rail should sit so that the baffle works properly? What insulation "seals the baffle to the sides of the box"?View attachment 260951View attachment 260952
The baffle looks well-used, but still functional. The insulation cover normally sits down flat, but this has warped a little. Shouldn't adversely affect performance. The insulation batts up on the brick retainer rails simply prevent smoke from going around the baffle straight to the flue and help keep the baffle hot. It should be placed long-ways (front-to-back) and go from behind the brick retainer folded over onto the baffle.

The baffle looks well-used, but still functional. The insulation cover normally sits down flat, but this has warped a little. Shouldn't adversely affect performance. The insulation batts up on the brick retainer rails simply prevent smoke from going around the baffle straight to the flue and help keep the baffle hot. It should be placed long-ways (front-to-back) and go from behind the brick retainer folded over onto the baffle.
They sit high enough behind the brick retainers so they sit atop the baffle or butt up against? Have you seen any pictures on the forum you can point to? At any rate, that warp in baffle is from only 4 months of use.

They sit high enough behind the brick retainers so they sit atop the baffle or butt up against? Have you seen any pictures on the forum you can point to? At any rate, that warp in baffle is from only 4 months of use.
The baffle is warranted but that kind of warpage looks like the stove may have been overfired. What stove top temps is it normally run at? What is the max it has seen?
Which model Alderlea is this and what year?

The baffle side insulation pieces sit on top of the brick rails like this.

Thanks for that. I also found the image below which looks like what you're describing. I don't think it was overfired. I've seen as high as 400 or just above with a cheap rutland thermometer. It's an T5 classic series d

The warping at the front of the baffle is odd. Might just be defective. Where is the temp being measured? On the actual stovetop below the trivet top or on cast iron trivet? FWIW, those cheapy Rutlands can be ok, but often they are off by quite a lot.

The warping at the front of the baffle is odd. Might just be defective. Where is the temp being measured? On the actual stovetop below the trivet top or on cast iron trivet? FWIW, those cheapy Rutlands can be ok, but often they are off by quite a lot.
My mistake, I failed to mention this is the insert version. Thanks for the feedback on the front of the baffle

No problem. Where is the temp being measured? It's very hard to get a good temperature reading with this insert unless via a remote thermocouple.

Where is the temp being measured? It's very hard to get a good temperature reading with this insert unless via a remote thermocouple.
Yeah, stove top on my SIL's T5 free-standing model is more like 600-700..

That top plate is not the baffle. It is a heat shield that rests over the top insulation blanket. That is an old style baffle. The new style has an insulation board with no metal cover. If it is just the top heat shield plate that is warped, that is normal, and you'll be fine, it doesn't effect performance. Clean everything and put it back in the stove.