Pdv eating pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Smokinbubba

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2019
Central Ohio
I have searched high and low but cant find the problem i am having. Dad and i just purchased 2 pdv's from Andy at amfm within the last 12 days. Mine was installed first with dads a week later. Both on a stat. Both stoves adjusted 141 and set at 5/5 when the stat calls for heat. When at idle, my flames are 2-3" tall or lower. When stat calls for heat 6-8". Burning 1bag in 24hrs. Peerfeccct. Super happy!!
Now on to dads. He is burning 2 bags in 24hrs! Seems to be feeding twice the fuel as mine. Same exact settings. Checked his mode and it is "d". Hopper gate is at 50%. Would really like to idle his down more but cant figure this out. He lives next door so ambient temps are the same mid to high 30's day mid 20's night
Ideas? Thx, Bubba

Different houses different results
Are both houses sealed the same?
Are both stats set at the same temp?
Is he home all day?
Do you leave for work?
There are 2 many variables
For instance, I burn a bag a day 150-year-old fairly well-sealed log farmhouse
My eldest Son burns 2 bags a day in his being renovated 150-year-old log farmhouse
My youngest son is in a New Totaly sealed Home and burns about a bag every 4 days
We all have the same make model and year of stove

Reactions: Washed-Up
I have read on here recently that Englander released some stoves with the wrong auger motor that turns at a higher RPM than standard. I would look into that.

Reactions: Ssyko
Different houses different results
Are both houses sealed the same?
Are both stats set at the same temp?
Is he home all day?
Do you leave for work?
There are 2 many variables
For instance, I burn a bag a day 150-year-old fairly well-sealed log farmhouse
My eldest Son burns 2 bags a day in his being renovated 150-year-old log farmhouse
My youngest son is in a New Totally sealed Home and burns about a bag every 4 days
We all have the same make model and year of stove
I totally agree except we are both running on a stat and the flame, at idle, is noticibly different in height. Should be the same ammt of pellets fed with the same settings when the stat is not calling for heat.

I have read on here recently that Englander released some stoves with the wrong auger motor that turns at a higher RPM than standard. I would look into that.
That is the next step. I ran out of time last night to take the back off and look at the sticker on the motor. Didnt want to miss the puck drop at 7:30p!!

That is the next step. I ran out of time last night to take the back off and look at the sticker on the motor. Didnt want to miss the puck drop at 7:30p!!
Don't just read the sticker. Actually count the RPM's yourself. It could be marked wrong also. Are the pellets the exact same size? Just because you bought pellets at the same time doesn't mean they are from the same lot. Smaller pellets feed a lot faster. Try closing the gate some more. Also remember that the lower 3 buttons do absolutely nothing on setting above 2 on the heat button.

Reactions: BackDoc
Don't just read the sticker. Actually count the RPM's yourself. It could be marked wrong also. Are the pellets the exact same size? Just because you bought pellets at the same time doesn't mean they are from the same lot. Smaller pellets feed a lot faster. Try closing the gate some more. Also remember that the lower 3 buttons do absolutely nothing on setting above 2 on the heat button.
I will time the auger tonight. Easier than taking the back off anyway! I checked the glass gasket and it is good. I also want to check the hopper gasket tonight. Thinking there may be an air problem as well. He told me last night that he wants his stove to perform as good as mine! and at idle on the stat, it should.
He is running Green supremes. Kinda med length. I was running power pellets which were longer. That is the only difference in our setups. I ran Green Supremes last week and they burned the same as power pellets. I want to tune his stove to green supremes since we have 6ton coming Fri! My stove loves them. No clinkers and very little ash.

I will time the auger tonight. Easier than taking the back off anyway! I checked the glass gasket and it is good. I also want to check the hopper gasket tonight. Thinking there may be an air problem as well. He told me last night that he wants his stove to perform as good as mine! and at idle on the stat, it should.
Speaking of stat's ? How does your pdv seem to run on the stat? I have had mine for years with out a stat. I have it dialed in very well but always wondered how they work with a stat. Do they stut off when room temp is reached or just dial back? Ssyko?

When I first installed, I ran no stat for a week. Then added a cheap Honeywell programmable from Lowes ($25). What a difference. i have my stove set at 141 and heat 5 fan5. When it calls for heat it goes to 5/5 and when not calling for heat, it goes down to idle 1/5. With bottom set at 141, i go thru a bag a day down to the teens. Tonight will be the real test. Gonna b single digits. Have some green golds to toss in her tonight but doubt it will be any different than the cheapies. My flame at idle is between a pilot light up to 3" depending if it just dumped pellets or not. Ash is about a coffee cup in 24hrs. since blocking off the bottom air holes under the wear plate, glass is really clean at 24hrs maybe 3" up had a tan haze. Ash is powder gray, no clumps. been 18-35deg here and house stays at 70 every time I look at the stat. Ron Popiel must have made mine cause I just set it and forget it!! SUPER happy with my little englander that could!

When I first installed, I ran no stat for a week. Then added a cheap Honeywell programmable from Lowes ($25). What a difference. i have my stove set at 141 and heat 5 fan5. When it calls for heat it goes to 5/5 and when not calling for heat, it goes down to idle 1/5. With bottom set at 141, i go thru a bag a day down to the teens. Tonight will be the real test. Gonna b single digits. Have some green golds to toss in her tonight but doubt it will be any different than the cheapies. My flame at idle is between a pilot light up to 3" depending if it just dumped pellets or not. Ash is about a coffee cup in 24hrs. since blocking off the bottom air holes under the wear plate, glass is really clean at 24hrs maybe 3" up had a tan haze. Ash is powder gray, no clumps. been 18-35deg here and house stays at 70 every time I look at the stat. Ron Popiel must have made mine cause I just set it and forget it!! SUPER happy with my little englander that could!
Thanks. So if I get this right the stove will not go above a preset setting.

Thanks. So if I get this right the stove will not go above a preset setting.
Correct. The manual says set the stove at 9/9 when using a stat. Mike from ESW says this is not accurate. Set the hr and air where you want it. When the stove calls for heat, it will go to whatever setting you have it set at. When the stat stops calling for heat, it will go back to 1hr. The stat only changes the heat range, air setting is not changed by the stat. So set it equal or above and let her sing.

OK, just got an update from Dad. His stove was out this morning due to eating 3/4 bag over night and he had clumped ash in the pot. Im going to clock the upper auger tonight and get a handle on things. I really want to slow this train down before he runs out of fuel! Its leaning more and more to the wrong auger motor. Hope so, that would be an easy fix.

Ok, timed the upper auger. It is turning 1rpm at heat setting of 9. His lower air holes have been plugged for 24hrs and he is burning pellets more efficiently but this thing just wont idle down like mine. His restrictor plate is completely closed. Temp on his front door reads 307 at idle. Mine reads 265. The convection air is 105deg and mine is 85deg at idle. Only difference is he is running lignetics green supremes and i am running green gold by green team. The green gold are considerably smaller pellets than the gs and should be feeding faster in my stove creating even more heat than his! Im thinking it's time for a call to Mike at ESW. any ideas guys? Im at a loss.

you want to time the lower auger also they both should be 1 rpm. only true way of testing would be to run the same pellets in both stoves. are the exhaust vents the same?

Reactions: BackDoc
I didnt time the lower auger cause I figured it didnt make any difference since the upper feeds and the lower just runs. Exhause is different. Both direct vent. Mine is a corner install so a 45, 90, 1' streight thru thinble to T, then up 4'. I know this is not optimal but the only way I could do it due to satisfy code. Dads is 1' straight out the back to the t, then 4'up. not a corner install. Our shipment od Lignetics GS will be here tomorrow and we will be running the same.

Well, worked on it again tonight and had to raise the white flag. Really not working correctly at all. No change in flame size from heat 1-9. Its blazing all the time. Wont idle down at all. Stove door got to 539 and i decided enough is enough. Smelled hot. Something aint right. Going to reach out to ESW tomorrow. Im done guessing.

New part on the way. ESW does have AWESOME customer service. On hold for 15-20min. Not bad. Tech Sam is really knowledgable.

Dumping WAY too many pellets. Would not idle. 2+ bags a day on low in 30deg weather

Pm'd u

I might have the same problem, I think after reading this. Pellet feed on 1, but roaring fire all the time. 400˚-425˚ pipe temp, with probe thermometer 18" above stove. I'll have to call ESW, but will count rpm's at top auger later today.
Joe D