Paint inside of Quadra Fire Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
I would like to paint some of the inside of my Quadra Fire Castile insert but I am not sure what I can or should paint and what paint to buy. Any advice would be appreciated.

What ever paint you use will burn off

I used to paint my Enviro with the high temp Grill paint. Painting at the end of every year so I didn't have to look at the brown while it's off in the summer

Hello
I do Stove Refurbishing.
First I vac out the ash and use a compressor to blast out all the ash.
Then wire wheel the inside with the drill driver or you can media blast it. I like black diamond which is coal slag for my Blaster. Wire wheeling and Emory cloth works fine also. Then clean it with Acetone so the paint will stick. Then spray it with VHT (Very high Temp 2000 Deg F) flat black header paint from the auto Parts store. The paint does eventually burn off near the burn pot but This procedure makes it just like how the stove comes new in the box,
On the Quadrafire stoves and I just did this to a CB1200 Classic Bay.
See pics of another quad I did a while back. :)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...uper-rusty-baffle-panels.144264/#post-1946547
I remove the fire pot and do the same procedure and paint it. Then install a new fire pot gasket and new Stainless Steel bolts to make it look good. Also if the thermocouple hold down bracket is old and does not have the piece that clamps onto the wire so it will not slip out, I put in the upgraded bracket. :)
See pic
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...rmocouple-hold-down-clip.163184/#post-2191237
Hope this helps.
-Don

Just don’t get too rough with the thermocouple cover (it’s ceramic) or the heat tubes (aluminum). Paint looks nice over the summer, or if your just worried about rust, a blast of penetrating oil on the cast baffles helps. I push my customers to put a desiccant in their stove for the summer. Damprid helps but capping off the pipe really helps.