Pacific Energy True North burn tips, what's your setup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbojoe

Oct 24, 2014
Mid Michigan
I have been unable to find alot of user feedback on all the good stuff us TN19 owners need to share. As in, Burn times, Air settings, Heat output, ect.

I am new to EPA wood stoves. Now that the stove is installed, it's burn time. what works and doesn't work for you.

I have only had a few small fires to cure the paint until today. I ran the stove about an hour with smaller pieces of Ash until i had decent coals. I decided to put in three 7" Ash splits and try her out.
The stove top was at 350f, I dropped the 3 splits in, closed the door and also closed the air all the way to see if i could get a slow ( 350ish ) long burn.
Well it burned great but burned hotter than i ecspected with the air closed down all the way. Over 2 to 3 hours the stove top rose to 600f before starting to head back down.
Should i be able to choke it off more to control temps ??
It seems like the more wood i add the hotter it gets, i know, sounds stupid...lol.. I figured from lurking on here one could pack a stove full, turn down the air and let it slow cook.
I'm afraid if i loaded this one up it may over fire ??

Modern EPA-approved wood stoves are designed that they cannot be choked down since this would generate a lot of smoke (which is bad for the health of your neighbors and leads to unsafe creosote formation in your chimney). Thus, it seems your stove just worked as it was intended to. If you want less heat you load less wood but you still burn a hot fire. For long burns, you rake the coals forward, stuff as many splits as you can into the box with maybe a small airspace below the burn tubes. I assume the True North is a N-S loader like the PE Super. It may be helpful to drop some shorter splits E-W behind the pile of coals and then load the other wood N-S on top of it. Keep the door slightly ajar until the wood has caught fire, then close it with the air fully open. Let most of the wood get charred, then close the air a bit until the flames get lazy. Wait a few minutes until the fire has picked up again, then continue closing the air another step until you see lazy flames and so on. At the end, your air control should be between a quarter open to fully closed depending on draft, dryness of wood, etc. Stove temp will probably reach the 600 F to 700 F range at peak.

For a slow, not quite hot burn on a full load you need to look at catalytic stoves.

That sounds about right. You may see a lower peak of you pack it really tight, with minimal air space between splits, but 600° ain't bad. If you don't need that much heat, put less wood in.

Modern EPA-approved wood stoves are designed that they cannot be choked down since this would generate a lot of smoke (which is bad for the health of your neighbors and leads to unsafe creosote formation in your chimney). Thus, it seems your stove just worked as it was intended to. If you want less heat you load less wood but you still burn a hot fire. For long burns, you rake the coals forward, stuff as many splits as you can into the box with maybe a small airspace below the burn tubes. I assume the True North is a N-S loader like the PE Super. It may be helpful to drop some shorter splits E-W behind the pile of coals and then load the other wood N-S on top of it. Keep the door slightly ajar until the wood has caught fire, then close it with the air fully open. Let most of the wood get charred, then close the air a bit until the flames get lazy. Wait a few minutes until the fire has picked up again, then continue closing the air another step until you see lazy flames and so on. At the end, your air control should be between a quarter open to fully closed depending on draft, dryness of wood, etc. Stove temp will probably reach the 600 F to 700 F range at peak.

For a slow, not quite hot burn on a full load you need to look at catalytic stoves.

Thanks !!!
Makes sense, front to rear burn. I spread the coals out, no wonder i had killer secondarys for hours.
I have read this time of season is hard to get it just right. 600 F is too hot for 38 F outside.

Was very pleased with my first 24 hr burn yesterday/today. I had spent so much time lurking this forum for info on EPA stoves i skipped over a very basic but very helpfull tip for non cat stoves. Thanks Grisu for pointing that out !!! Raking the coals forward before reloading was the trick for sure. A completely different fire, Instead of an inferno, it was a more controlled front to rear burn. Duh..lol
I put in 2 Ash splits and a 5" round at 1AM last night. Firebox about 3/4 full It cruised at 400/450 stove top untill i went to bed at 3, Stove was at just under 300 F at 9AM this morning.
That works for me (:

Reactions: Tyler and Grisu
Status
Not open for further replies.