Pacific Energy Summit owners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr. Kelly

Feeling the Heat
Hi there… Pacific Energy Summit Owners,

I have a question about how a metal piece of this thing fits in the box properly… It is not showing anywhere in the manual.

At the very front of the stove, on the inside bottom, there is a removable metal piece, that has holes in it, which is meant to help circulate air through the thing.

When this thing was set up, the dealer placed that metal piece so that the holes are facing inward, laterally, and toward the back of the box. This piece can also very easily be placed with the holes facing directly up, which to might make sense. When the holes are facing the back, ash and soot constantly clog the thing, which I would think would prevent air from circulating.

How do you guys have this metal piece set? Up or back?

I'm going to run it for a while with the thing facing up, just to see if I can notice any difference.

Thanks for your input!

From PE's website,

I have this angled piece with holes in it, what is it.

• Likely it is the manifold from the bottom of the stove - it fits in just behind the bottom of the door frame with holes facing the back of the stove.

From PE's website,

I have this angled piece with holes in it, what is it.

• Likely it is the manifold from the bottom of the stove - it fits in just behind the bottom of the door frame with holes facing the back of the stove.

Thank you!

It appears that whoever answered this question wasn't entirely sure, either, so it clearly wasn't a representative from PE.

It's rather strange that it is not shown in the owner's manual.

I have it with the holes facing up--seems to fit better that way. I'm curious now if this is the 'right way'. I have been using the stove for the past 3 seasons with no issues, so I doubt it matters that much.

Thank you!

It appears that whoever answered this question wasn't entirely sure, either, so it clearly wasn't a representative from PE.

It's rather strange that it is not shown in the owner's manual.

This was in their FAQ section, so i would expect that it was a PE representative answering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The holes should face the rear of the fire box. If they face up I think it would interfere with the air wash for the door.

I have it with the holes facing up--seems to fit better that way. I'm curious now if this is the 'right way'. I have been using the stove for the past 3 seasons with no issues, so I doubt it matters that much.

I also have mine facing up. I have not noticed anything detrimental.

Interesting point to bring this up. Never even considered it should be installed the other way.

I think I will flip it and see if I can notice anything.

Also wondering, do you guys make an effort to keep ash out of the area of the boost mainfold? Seems like the holes, if oriented in either direction, are just plugged up after a few burn cycles

Super 27 has same parts.

The part is the Boost Manifold.
It faces the back of stove, it blows air into the wood for super fast startups.
also aids in burn down of coals, facing up? not burnin coals.
Pull it out to clean, mine never gets clogged and we heat our house with the stove.

Last edited:
Also wondering, do you guys make an effort to keep ash out of the area of the boost mainfold? Seems like the holes, if oriented in either direction, are just plugged up after a few burn cycles
I don't let the ash build up past the holes (oriented up). I take the manifold off in the summer and shop vac the air holes underneath. Never had anything plug up yet.

Thanks MDWood. Yes, this is the boost manifold. It usually doesn't clog up that badly, but it should be removed and that area cleaned when removing ash. Note that with decent draft the stove will still function ok if you don't clean this. We have good draft + dry wood and don't need boost for a good start or burn.

Last edited:
Agreed. I usually only remove it to clean the ash at the end of the season. There is always some dust and ash but it seems fine enough to not block the air flow through the holes.

Ironically, mine is almost always completely covered with ash… since I don't shovel the thing out all that often, but prefer to try to burn it down.

Do you believe it is mainly for cold starting? I burn 24/7, so I don't know if I would really need it for starting. I do have poor draft, and my wood is not necessarily seasoned. I should experiment a bit more, but it would take a fair amount of clearing to keep soot off of it!

Another thing I’ve been wondering about regarding the Summit.

The sides of the baffle have strips of insulation along the top ridge. Any idea what the purpose of this insulation is?

It’s pretty amazing that it actually stays intact over that heat.

Another thing I’ve been wondering about regarding the Summit.

The sides of the baffle have strips of insulation along the top ridge. Any idea what the purpose of this insulation is?

It’s pretty amazing that it actually stays intact over that heat.
The insulation on sides, seals the gaps on the sides of the baffle, between the baffle and stove body sides. If the baffle was tight to each side of the stove, it would be very difficult to remove the baffle.

Last edited:
It’s there to keep fire box tempatures as high as possible, helps with clean burning!