Pacific Energy Summit Insert installed today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ribs1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 1, 2009
Michigan
www.cponsite.net
So far I am very happy with my new insert. I had a very good experience with my dealer and the installer they recommended seemed to be very knowledgeable. My fireplace has an ash clean out that goes in the basement with an outside air pipe feeding into the clean out. I was a little worried that this might not work out well but I fired the stove up with a small burn just to see how it would do.
I quickly found out a few things
1. This stove does not seem to like a small fire. I had trouble getting it going and it just seemed to cascade smoke down the glass. I made a little bigger fire and that seemed to work better.
2. The blower is a little noisy. I knew this going in and hopefully I will get used to it.

I had to educate the installer a little bit about using outside air. Thanks to this forum I did a lot of research in advance. I spoke to the installer a few times and actually asked him to read the manual and contact the manufacturer before the installation date. By the time he got here I was very confident that things would go well.
The dealer was very helpful as well. Nancy at Town 'n Country Hardware seemed to know everything about flue liners, insulation, drafts, etc.

I have about 1 1/2 cords of cherry and ash that have been seasoning for almost 2 years. I don't think this will be enough for this year so I will probably have to buy a little to get me through. The real fun starts with trying to scrounge enough for next season and beyond. Next project is to locate a good wood trailer to tow behind my van.

So far I am very happy

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Pacific Energy Summit Insert installed today
    12853_1192779232343_1614276284_481487_151569_n.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 516
ribs1 said:
So far I am very happy with my new insert. I had a very good experience with my dealer and the installer they recommended seemed to be very knowledgeable. My fireplace has an ash clean out that goes in the basement with an outside air pipe feeding into the clean out. I was a little worried that this might not work out well but I fired the stove up with a small burn just to see how it would do.
1. This stove does not seem to like a small fire. I had trouble getting it going and it just seemed to cascade smoke down the glass. I made a little bigger fire and that seemed to work better.
2. The blower is a little noisy. I knew this going in and hopefully I will get used to it.

I had to educate the installer a little bit about using outside air. Thanks to this forum I did a lot of research in advance. I spoke to the installer a few times and actually asked him to read the manual and contact the manufacturer before the installation date. By the time he got here I was very confident that things would go well.
The dealer was very helpful as well. Nancy at Town 'n Country Hardware seemed to know everything about flue liners, insulation, drafts, etc.

I have about 1 1/2 cords of cherry and ash that have been seasoning for almost 2 years. I don't think this will be enough for this year so I will probably have to buy a little to get me through. The real fun starts with trying to scrounge enough for next season and beyond. Next project is to locate a good wood trailer to tow behind my van.

So far I am very happy

Start now.

Great looking install Ribs. You might try splitting the wood smaller to get the smaller fire going.

Finished my first overnight burn today. I loaded here up at about midnight and I still have hot coals in their now (10:30 am)
Everything seems to be working pretty good.
I got it up to 80 degrees in my house last night. Woot

ribs1 said:
Finished my first overnight burn today. I loaded here up at about midnight and I still have hot coals in their now (10:30 am)
Everything seems to be working pretty good.
I got it up to 80 degrees in my house last night. Woot

Now thats a great story. You got yourself a nice unit, enjoy it

ribs1 said:

So far I am very happy

Nice head gear!

Status
Not open for further replies.