Pacific Energy Summit Classic vs. Jotul F55

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
What would be the major differences between these two stoves. Which one has had more problems with cracking? Which one is more durable? Thanks.

The Jotul is a tube stove. A bit less convenient for cleaning, but a really nicely made stove. I like the door latching better on the Jotul. The Summit Classic is a different style, it's porcelain steel clad, a better direct comparison is the Alderlea T6 which is cast iron clad. The Summit and the T6 have PE's EBT secondary burn control which helps extend burn time by regulating the secondary air. They also have PE's unique stainless steel baffle box which combines baffle and secondary air manifold and ports. This baffle is tough and won't crack if one accidently bumps it with a log. The Alderlea series goes one further with the swing out trivet top.

All stove companies can have an occasional mis-weld or early design error. Most correct them quickly. This was the case with the early Summit (2008-2009). There have been a couple model updates since then. There were a couple reports of Jotul weld cracks too, but I haven't heard of any for a while.

Part of what keeps a stove in good condition is the operator. That means not overfiring the stove, not slamming in logs against the firebrick or ceramic baffle, and cleaning it on a regular basis.

I don't know anything about the Jotul, but I have a PE Summit that I am satisfied with. I think all in all, I prefer the tube system, I think it makes it easier to see the secondaries burn and is a "prettier" fire. JMHO

I only have experience with the F55. Looked at both when buying. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I've had the F55 hot a couple of times with no problems. I liked the door system and lack of an ash tray, so that's why I went with it.

I only have experience with the F55. Looked at both when buying. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

I've had the F55 hot a couple of times with no problems. I liked the door system and lack of an ash tray, so that's why I went with it.
How do you clean your f55? Can you remove the baffle? I am thinking of using a rear exit then a clean out tee in the pipe. Thanks for your time.

The baffle can be removed, but I haven't. At the end of the season I clean the glass, clean the chimney, shovel and then vacuum out the ashes, and then cap the chimney.

Mine is a top exit and I have a sliding pipe section between the stove and the ceiling. Three screws and it slides...

I also have not had to remove the baffle on the f55. I've got a rear exit with a tee and to my surprise didn't have to clean the pipe after year one. With that T looks like it's going to be super simple when needed.....installed this way on purpose.

I also have not had to remove the baffle on the f55. I've got a rear exit with a tee and to my surprise didn't have to clean the pipe after year one. With that T looks like it's going to be super simple when needed.....installed this way on purpose.
Thank you and everyone who replied. I have all the info I need now. I appreciate everyone for your time and knowledge.

All stove companies can have an occasional mis-weld or early design error. Most correct them quickly. This was the case with the early Summit (2008-2009). There have been a couple model updates since then. There were a couple reports of Jotul weld cracks too, but I haven't heard of any for a while.

Not to hijack but where do this generation of summit typically crack?

Not to hijack but where do this generation of summit typically crack?
Around the top sides of the door opening. Hogwildz documented this well.

Could you please post a picture of your stove and clean-out tee? How well do that work for
You? How do you clean on top of the baffle? Thanks

Havent had to use it yet.
Thank you for the pictures. I am thinking I will use a rear-exit flue as well. I want to get a f55 with the clean-out t. The difference is that it will be inside the house.

The Jotul is a tube stove. A bit less convenient for cleaning, but a really nicely made stove. I like the door latching better on the Jotul. The Summit Classic is a different style, it's porcelain steel clad, a better direct comparison is the Alderlea T6 which is cast iron clad. The Summit and the T6 have PE's EBT secondary burn control which helps extend burn time by regulating the secondary air. They also have PE's unique stainless steel baffle box which combines baffle and secondary air manifold and ports. This baffle is tough and won't crack if one accidently bumps it with a log. The Alderlea series goes one further with the swing out trivet top.

Part of what keeps a stove in good condition is the operator. That means not overfiring the stove, not slamming in logs against the firebrick or ceramic baffle, and cleaning it on a regular basis.
I wonder how the T6 can be rated for 99,000 btus and the F55 for 83,000. They have a similar size firebox. Which one is more accurate? Anyone know about this?? Thanks.

Take peak BTU rating with a grain of salt. This is mfg testing, not EPA. I'm not sure there is a consistent testing method across all manufacturers. You are not likely to see this peak unless you stoke the stove like a fireman every 15 minutes.

I wonder how the T6 can be rated for 99,000 btus and the F55 for 83,000. They have a similar size firebox. Which one is more accurate? Anyone know about this?? Thanks.
I have some confidence in the EPA numbers since they have matched my experience on the stoves in my signature, YMMV. Anyway, they have the T6 at 41275 BTU/hr. and the F55 at 30400. Quite a difference.

Yes, the EPA testing is with a controlled, known wood source and quantity.