Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 or Jotul C450 CF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJuggler

Nov 2, 2016
White Plains, NY
I've been reading this forum for weeks and it has come down to either the Neo 2.5 or the Jotul C450. Can any owners of those two inserts say anything to sway my undecided mind?

House: 1600 s.f. built in 1926, only insulation is in attic and basement sill perimeter. Southern NY area.
Fireplace: Interior, 28' chimney height with 6.5"x11.5" I.D. flue.

The Neo 2.5 is a little big and would need to remove the damper frame and knock out some of the brick forming the "smoke shelf" to connect the vent.

The Jotul would fit perfect and appears to sit slightly out on the hearth which may provide more heat?

Price on the Jotul is about $3,100 compared with $2,200 for the Neo.

Prefer the look and price of the Neo but not sure about modifying the firebox to make it fit or how to get the 6" flue liner down such a small flue.

Can anyone see a clear winner here?

I have the 450 and heat a 1600 square foot house in northern NJ easily. Incredible quality and I love the look. Overnight burns are easy on a packed load before bed. I have a 15 foot chimney and it drafts fine. I just stuffed roxul in the smokeshelf and around the top cap when doing the install. The stove has a built in "cabinet" where the hot air blows through. It kind of acts as its own block off plate. Throws very good heat. The fan was a little rattly on high but I used a little tin foil to make a shim and its nice and quiet at both speeds now. I'm not a huge fan of the double doors on mine. They look great, but the single doors on the new ones would be easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.