P68 diagram? any other hidden spots to clean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redbill

Jan 15, 2015
Massachusetts
Is there somewhere that has a diagram of P68 and all the different blowers/motors labelled? Mine has been getting loud, so I took off the back panel to try to find the source, and I think I know which motor it is. But when I was back there I found that air blower cage thing, and saw it was covered with thick dust, so I cleaned it out. The motor is still loud, but holy moly the stove is running so much better now. I went back and found the cleaning manual that came with it, and it never mentioned cleaning that blower out. So I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else I should be cleaning (I empty fines box every year). And generally I just want to know the different motors & blowers and how the air flow works. thanks

Reactions: mtnbiker727
Is there somewhere that has a diagram of P68 and all the different blowers/motors labelled? Mine has been getting loud, so I took off the back panel to try to find the source, and I think I know which motor it is. But when I was back there I found that air blower cage thing, and saw it was covered with thick dust, so I cleaned it out. The motor is still loud, but holy moly the stove is running so much better now. I went back and found the cleaning manual that came with it, and it never mentioned cleaning that blower out. So I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else I should be cleaning (I empty fines box every year). And generally I just want to know the different motors & blowers and how the air flow works. thanks
Look for the exh fan behind of the ash bucket

Reactions: Washed-Up
This is what Rona mentioned, should look the same in your P68

Attachments

• P68 diagram? any other hidden spots to clean?
    52537080-C646-4B22-B972-DD1EE60D98F1.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 109

Try the Manual - both the owner's manual and the install manual have those parts listed and a blow-out diagram at the back.

Reactions: Ssyko
I have the same question. People mention taking the fans out and greasing them, but I don't know how to do any of that.

I tried to take the exhaust fan out, but the little set screw won't turn. It also seems to be halfway between two sizes of allen wrench.

I have the same question. People mention taking the fans out and greasing them, but I don't know how to do any of that.

I tried to take the exhaust fan out, but the little set screw won't turn. It also seems to be halfway between two sizes of allen wrench.
Those set screws are pretty famous for being really hard to remove if not installed with antiseize and taken off regularly. They use a 1/8" hex key. I've had pretty good luck using a high quality penetrating lube applied repeatedly but most folks end up breaking the blower fan cutting the shaft off the motor to remove the motor. IIRC, Flip has a stove with a combustion blower that can be removed without removing the blower wheel.

Yup..
The exhaust fan set screw is usually 1/8 inch hex key allen. However I did get an aftermarket one and it was a little smaller which I had to go metric. Use what ever feels the tightest, make sure its clean , goes fully in, wire brush, & penetrating oil. My first one I used a small pipe nipple or similar for leverage on the hex key to break it loose...I reassemble shaft and set screw with a little Lubriplate grease..or similar and rotate them upon cleaning..

Reactions: Washed-Up
Soak it, use a ratchet and socket with 1/8 Allen socket and keep steady pressure on it for about 3-5 seconds at at time, I’ve been lucky not to cut one off so far...8 times...8 different stoves

Attachments

• P68 diagram? any other hidden spots to clean?
    FC2F6CCC-663D-4C5D-920F-97D252C3E55C.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 92
Once I get that fan off, then what do I do? Unbolt the contraption from the back of the stove? And then grease the shaft?

Once I get that fan off, then what do I do? Unbolt the contraption from the back of the stove? And then grease the shaft?
I would suggest leaving it alone if it is running quite. You will most likely break something getting it apart. My comb. and dist blowers on my 2004 Harman are original and never have been oiled. Just keep them clean. Seems like the older motors last better than the newer ones. Then when it starts to get loud you can replace it and take your old one and put bearings in it and have it on the shelf for a spare.

Reactions: bogieb and Ssyko