P61 using more and more pellets in room temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alternativeheat

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2013
Cape Cod, Ma.
Stove temp seems fairly normal but room temp is going nuts. It's not even as cold out as it was and really nothing has changed in the house. Last night was 18 deg and this morning over night it got down to 13. I used pretty close to 70 lbs of pellet in this 12 hour cycle ( 4PM to 4AM). I got up to an empty hopper, the last few pellets going down the shoot.The house stayed at 71-72 but where is this extra heat going ? I'm thinking maybe up the chimney. I didn't use that much in single digits and near 0 outside. I guess I'll have to get my hands on a draft meter. I do seem to burn a bit lower fire size in the stove on Energex hardwood pellets, these were LG last night. I even plugged some holes up in the basement over the weekend.

Yesterday in stove temp it burned half a hopper load , that's more normal usage if not a bit low use. Got a little mystery going on here, cause the house should be well baked with eating that many pellets in 12 hours. Obviously, the probe is calling for heat. But used to use maybe 2/3 of a hopper in the same conditions. Then 3/4 , now the entire thing. I thought 2/3 was a bit much actually with 1800 sq ft of house.

Last edited:
When was the last time you cleaned the ESP. I've found that when it gets dirty the stove starts to use more pellets. Trying to satisfy the minimum vent temp.

Stove temp seems fairly normal but room temp is going nuts. It's not even as cold out as it was and really nothing has changed in the house. Last night was 18 deg and this morning over night it got down to 13. I used pretty close to 70 lbs of pellet in this 12 hour cycle ( 4PM to 4AM). I got up to an empty hopper, the last few pellets going down the shoot.The house stayed at 71-72 but where is this extra heat going ? I'm thinking maybe up the chimney. I didn't use that much in single digits and near 0 outside. I guess I'll have to get my hands on a draft meter. I do seem to burn a bit lower fire size in the stove on Energex hardwood pellets, these were LG last night. I even plugged some holes up in the basement over the weekend.

Yesterday in stove temp it burned half a hopper load , that's more normal usage if not a bit low use.
I at work now and left with the stove in stove temp most. Thinking this through some more, my probe hangs off the mantel behind t
When was the last time you cleaned the ESP. I've found that when it gets dirty the stove starts to use more pellets. Trying to satisfy the minimum vent temp.
Well that makes some sense, since I have not cleaned it since burning those sooty pellets last week. But would it burn the extra pellets for the same or less result in house temperature? More pellets similar house comfort.

I've found that one can over think the stove. When in doubt, clean. Ash is a great insulator much to the pain of us stove owners. I brush exchangers twice a day.

I've found that one can over think the stove. When in doubt, clean. Ash is a great insulator much to the pain of us stove owners. I brush exchangers twice a day.
Ok, got it! As I started to say I'm at work. So its going to be a while till I get to it. At least today is supposed to hit 30 here.

Ok, got it! As I started to say I'm at work. So its going to be a while till I get to it. At least today is supposed to hit 30 here.
Woke up to temps above zero for the first time in almost three weeks. Not supposed to go below zero they think for the rest of the season. :) Now hopefully I can get a path to shed and get motorcycle on lift and tear into getting the new cylinder installed for the riding season in two months.

Reactions: Ktm300 and Hoot23
Another thing to be cognizant of is the location of your room temp probe. When I had my xxv I got better mileage out of the room temp setting.

A friend of mine was going nuts with using more pellets after the Christmas holiday. He cleaned and cleaned, still burning a bag more per day even factoring in the colder than normal temps. It turned out when his daughter was home who lives in the back side top floor of his home had left to go back to college, left the bathroom fan going. He had installed a larger than normal exhaust fan in the bathroom to combat some mold in the summer. His daughter left the fan on when she left. She had cleaned her bathroom before leaving so nobody heard or noticed the fan running or had a need to go into her bathroom. It was creating more draft in the home and sucking the heat out as well. You just never know and is a good reason to monitor your usage to spot anything unusual. :)

Reactions: alternativeheat
Another thing to be cognizant of is the location of your room temp probe. When I had my xxv I got better mileage out of the room temp setting.
Ya, I know the location of the probe is pretty important. That hasn't changed any. However it could be picking up a new draft or some such thing. Best I can say for now is something has changed. Anyway, for the time being its in stove temp mode.

Woke up to temps above zero for the first time in almost three weeks. Not supposed to go below zero they think for the rest of the season. :) Now hopefully I can get a path to shed and get motorcycle on lift and tear into getting the new cylinder installed for the riding season in two months.
I'm looking forward to the boating season. charged the battery a week or two ago. that and the tractor battery. Black bass will be in Buzzards Bay in May, certainly by mid May. Trout fishing in the ponds in April. April at the latest will be grass cutting and yard pick up time . Getting in the mood for the change now.

Last edited:
A friend of mine was going nuts with using more pellets after the Christmas holiday. He cleaned and cleaned, still burning a bag more per day even factoring in the colder than normal temps. It turned out when his daughter was home who lives in the back side top floor of his home had left to go back to college, left the bathroom fan going. He had installed a larger than normal exhaust fan in the bathroom to combat some mold in the summer. His daughter left the fan on when she left. She had cleaned her bathroom before leaving so nobody heard or noticed the fan running or had a need to go into her bathroom. It was creating more draft in the home and sucking the heat out as well. You just never know and is a good reason to monitor your usage to spot anything unusual. :)
Before I insulated above the fireplace next to the flu liner I couldn't heat the house well. My old coal stove had a plate in front of the fireplace. But when I insulated that what a difference that made. I'm going to check that out, cause if the insulation slipped it's free to fall all the way down behind the old heatilator I think. That could radiate enough cold in maybe to effect my probe where its located. Another thought is we are running the kitchen ceilng fan in reverse, had been running it in summer mode prior to this.

I'm looking forward to the boating season. charged the battery a week or two ago. that and the tractor battery. Black bass will be in Buzzards Bay in May, certainly by mid May. Trout fishing in the ponds in April. April at the latest will be grass cutting and yard pick up time . Getting in the mood for the change now.
I got a bow setup to bow fish for carp this season couple weeks ago. Need to upgrade the smoker to something a lot bigger I hope. Reduce the families store bought meat a bit. Have a great site on little river mile and half from house.

I got a bow setup to bow fish for carp this season couple weeks ago. Need to upgrade the smoker to something a lot bigger I hope. Reduce the families store bought meat a bit. Have a great site on little river mile and half from house.
My bow is in the attic( unless you mean cross bow). Since my neck has been kinked up I haven't used it much. 50% let off did me in so I got one with 80% let off and mostly shot it around 65 lb. Still pulling it through the bump bothered me. Heck, the neck bothers me just standing here this winter!! No carp around here but about anything else is here I guess. We go to Maine salmon fishing in June and usually Sept too. Some trolling but mostly fly fishing. Moosehead lake region, been doing that sine 1989. We got so we could probably guide in the area at one point but its more casual these days. So glad I took the boys up there doing that before they left home, married etc. Never forget it, them or me !! So important to make that time with your kids. Next thing you know the time has passed and on to new adventure.

From a Harman heat problem to Fishing ....... luv u guys....
Been feeding and cleaning these stoves and being shut in for so many months. The end is in sight I hope:) Time to do something more pleasant outside without risk of frost bite.

From a Harman heat problem to Fishing ....... luv u guys....
Well, I can't do anything with the stove till after 3pm est but now I have some things to look into when I get there , thanks to forum members!!

Been feeding and cleaning these stoves and being shut in for so many months. The end is in sight I hope:) Time to do something more pleasant outside without risk of frost bite.
I usually start with spring fever in Feb but Feb here was a bomb, so now its not a ton better but morning sun is hitting my office wall like it should towards spring. The birds are trying to nest, I got greenery popping up along my south facing foundation . Time for dreams to take on a bit of life!

Carp. are they good eating? I've seen them so thick just 5 minutes up the lake you could almost walk on 'em

I got a good pic of a 3' tiger muskie in my boathouse swallowing a young 2' long carp - whole!

Only way I have found them edible is to smoke em. Asians will pay for em though so I don't know how they eat them. May have to buy or make a pellet smoker. The cheapest ones I have found are starting around $800. Considering the BBQ cook offs enterants are using 55 gallon barrels and winning.

Ya, I know the location of the probe is pretty important. That hasn't changed any. However it could be picking up a new draft or some such thing. Best I can say for now is something has changed. Anyway, for the time being its in stove temp mode.

I was told by a Harman tech. that in the "room temp" mode(with the probe on the wire) if you possibly have a draft in the house it is less efficient than in "stove temp" mode so you apparently know what you're doing.

I'm here to learn for now(noob) but will share what knowledge I do pick up where I can

I'm still wondering how that carp tastes?

Carp. are they good eating? I've seen them so thick just 5 minutes up the lake you could almost walk on 'em

I got a good pic of a 3' tiger muskie in my boathouse swallowing a young 2' long carp - whole!
Don't know never had it but they eat it all over the world so it can't be too bad. I like sea bass( black bass/ salt water bass). I like them better than striped bass which is everyones sport fish around here. The sea bass are much smaller than striped bass and you jig for them in the spring when they are first in after winter in schools, before they spread out for the summer.. Out in Buzzards Bay they will be in any pocket of the out going channel of our canal here but in the bay in 26-30 ft of water. Sweeter, IMO than striper. Of course catching a striper on top with a popper is rather spectacular by comparison and rather than a 4-8 lb fish you got yourself maybe a 25-30lb fish or more . In spite of all that my favorite fishing is for salmon on a fly ! Tie my own flies, great stuff. I don't eat them but now and then we take one cause someone in the group likes them.

The insulation had shifted over my heatilator, had an open gap up there. I have to get a plate in there but that will be in the spring. The chimney is capped so I don't know how much this is effecting anything on a 13 degree night but to the right of my vent pipe was wide open to the entire chimney.. I re stuffed it now. I've got battens of that fire proof stuff stored in the shed. I'll fix it up proper in the spring either way. I'll see if this does anything and move on from there. Cleaning day is Sat morning if I don't do it sooner, I'll pull the ESP then. I really think it has more to do with the room temp probe getting struck with cold air or something though and it hangs behind the stove right over the opening to the fireplace, so that makes sense to me. Hot air rises to the cap in the chimney and cold air drops out of that fireplace me thinks ! But we shall see.

I love my daughters dearly but man, they're all the same !!! Good heads up.

. In spite of all that my favorite fishing is for salmon on a fly ! Tie my own flies, great stuff. I don't eat them but now and then we take one cause someone in the group likes them.

Ooooooohhhhh, salmon is my favorite. Out here on the left coast(wash. state) and the ones we get from alaska just melt in your mouth when cooked right, nothing better over here

Ooooooohhhhh, salmon is my favorite. Out here on the left coast(wash. state) and the ones we get from alaska just melt in your mouth when cooked right, nothing better over here
These are Landlocked Salmon, I actually prefer Brook Trout. Any Brook trout is good but the little ones from the streams are the ones I like best. Landlocked Salmon are milder than your salmon over there, I mean the salmon flavor itself is mild, just a hint of it in these fish compared with yours. A true Salmon lover thinks of your fish more so than these ! But these are scrappy guys though, I'd rather catch these than striped bass any day.

NH used to have great tasting Brown Trout in their water systems up there, rivers and lakes, both good. Doesn't even taste like fish, you might think it was chicken or some meat just more tender. Those rocky rivers up there hold some beauties or they used to anyway, haven't been up there fishing in 25 years now.

I don't know if I won here or not but right now the stove is burning normal in room temp mode. That being the case I doubt it's the ESP. I found a good air leak along side my fireplace shooting out from under the side trim board. I stuffed insulation in it for now because the wife and I have plans to redress that facing anyway. But it's only 25 outside and less windy tonight, though still from the west, it obviously is different from low teens and blowing harder from the west.

Last edited:
Last Friday I changed tires on my sons bike. It was 15 degrees in the garage. He raced on Saturday in Southern New Jersey. No snow and 45 degrees in the woods. Monday they got 8 inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.