P43 P series rear shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

P43pig

Nov 9, 2013
MA
Anyone with a p series have trouble with the rear shield fitting with the outside air pipe.?
I'm running a 3" tube and with the knock out removed there is no way it's going to fit. If I cut away more there will be nothing left to it. Curious if anyone had to mod it or just left it off.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] P43 P series rear shield
    image.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 143
Can you cut it more with a dremel or something. Maybe widen the just the sides if it's the top part that's getting thin. Also, coming in at the right angle with the pipe is important.

OK, I see the pic now. Angle looks good. Thought I remember you mentioning Harman switching to 3" on the thimble and that sure looks like 3" OAK pipe. (ETA- Which I would've read the first time if my coffee had kicked in!)If that's the case, and your stove still has the 2 3/8" inlet, you're gonna have to step the pipe down to the inlet size before getting to the shield. I have no idea why Harman changed this other than the 2 3/8" pipe being tough to find.

I'd give it a shot before cannibalizing the rear shield any further.

Yes 2 5/8 OD on the stove. I took a pipe of 3" OD exhaust tube which has a ID of roughly 2 3/4" and slice cut it...took out about 1/4". I then slip that over the stove inlet and hose clamped it on. Then took my 3"ID pipe and hose clamped it on the exhaust pipe. Done
Now I have this giant sewer pipe out the back of the stove where this flimsy piece of sheet metal isn't going to fit.
I'm thinking just leave it off...you can't see it and what is it going to hurt if it's not on. Maybe heat rising up into the back of the stove into where all the wiring and crap is???

So you put a cut at one end down the length a bit and tapered it into a cone shape? That's a pretty good idea ;)

If you can't see the trim piece anyway, leaving it off prob isn't a big deal. You may get a bit more dust in there, but unless you're dumping pellets behind there, the chances of one jamming something up is extremely unlikely.

Harman dealers should be supplying a FREE reducer with those new 3" OAK thimble kits until the current production stoves switch over to 3" inlets.

Im planning on leaving mine off (P43) since i can only get it to fit back on by trimming it. Maybe Ill get time to trim and fit later... maybe...
[Hearth.com] P43 P series rear shield

So you put a cut at one end down the length a bit and tapered it into a cone shape? That's a pretty good idea ;)

Harman dealers should be supplying a FREE reducer with those new 3" OAK thimble kits until the current production stoves switch over to 3" inlets.

I took a chunk of pipe 2" long and put a 1/4" wide cut in it diagonally across it. That way as you clamp it it will ride up itself to tighten

I agree they should give the adapter away for free. I guess they do make one but it's like $50. For a great stove company they are cheap pricks...$50 for a piece of pipe, $250 for a decorative insert, $200 for a vent...give me a break. Even tho I did buy the vent...:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.