P38 harmon disturbution fan randomly comes on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

C4boom

Dec 8, 2019
New Hampshire
I went to start my stove for the season the stove would not light and I was getting a 3 blink. ESP probe issue, so I replaced the ESP. Probe. The stove runs, but I'm getting up. Relatively high idle and the distribution fan comes on randomly. Even when the room is up to temp room is 70° and room temp setting is set to 50⁰. It comes on for a couple seconds, then turns off.

ran fine. All last season.

Attached a photo of the flame at idle.

[Hearth.com] P38 harmon disturbution fan randomly  comes on

Was it a after market probe?

Did you accidently unplug room sensor when changing ESP?

View attachment 330745
The wall thermostat is working as when the room gets up to temp the stove ramps down ( but not as low as it use to) also I think if it is unplugged it throws a 2 blink status light. The probe was from my harmon stove distributor don't know if it was truly harmon brand or nnot.i will go there tomorrow and ask them the brand.

Reactions: ARC
If im reading this right the fan is coming on during operation but when its in a non head mode or coming on when it should not be? Probably not the case with you but something to look at. A few years ago i had put a cyber power battery backup on the stove, i never put 2 and 2 together for a long time but when the stove was of the fan would kick on randomly for a few seconds. One day i decided i would unplug the backup discharge it and recharge to cycle the battery, hooked up a very expensive room fan and it went up in smoke in about 10 seconds. I then realized that the backup was power surging and turning the fan on. Since i have removed it this has never happened again, was surprised it did not blow the board out of the stove. Of course cyber power would not come good for anything not that i would have put another one on any pc of electronics i owned.

Nobody has asked, so... Was the stove plugged in over the summer and is it plugged into a surge protector?

If im reading this right the fan is coming on during operation but when its in a non head mode or coming on when it should not be? Probably not the case with you but something to look at. A few years ago i had put a cyber power battery backup on the stove, i never put 2 and 2 together for a long time but when the stove was of the fan would kick on randomly for a few seconds. One day i decided i would unplug the backup discharge it and recharge to cycle the battery, hooked up a very expensive room fan and it went up in smoke in about 10 seconds. I then realized that the backup was power surging and turning the fan on. Since i have removed it this has never happened again, was surprised it did not blow the board out of the stove. Of course cyber power would not come good for anything not that i would have put another one on any pc of electronics

I'll test the outlet for surge .

The only other thing I can think of is a bad board…keep in mind this is the worst case scenario and you should always work the small stuff into the bad

Reactions: ABusWrench and ARC